I've been busy

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PaulSF

PaulSF

messing up pen blanks and ruining pen parts, etc., but I finally managed to make two acceptable pens!

The one on the left is a deep purple acrylic. The one on the right is an olive wood, and it's my first CA finish!!!!!! I actually thought the CA was just getting soaked in or something, because I put on something like 10 coats of BLO/CA and wasn't getting any gloss. Then I thought of trying some One-Step plastic polish, and that brought out the gloss very nicely. So three coats of One-Step, and then White Diamond on the Beall this morning. And then I actually managed to not destroy it putting everything together, which is a dramatic innovation for me.

P.S. Even though I don't like the Gatsby shape to write with, I do like the way the ribbing at the tip and the cap hide the fact that my blanks are somewhat out-of-round!

Attachments

• IMG_0122.jpg
    IMG_0122.jpg
    34.2 KB · Views: 292
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PaulSF

Thank you! My next is going to be an Olympian Elite, using pau rosa, if I don't blow out the blank (again) while drilling.

jasontg99

I had frequent "blow outs" with acrylics on large pens till I tried this: place the entire blank in your pen vise (asuming you are using one) and drill the cap to the depth needed for the tube. Take the blank out of the vise and take it to the bandsaw (or whatever you use to seperate the cap and body). Cut to the length needed and put the blank back in the vise. Drill to the needed length for the body, remove from the vise and take it to the bandsaw again. Cut to the needed and now you have both pieces and no "blow out". Hope this helps.

Jason

Daniel

What Jason said, Acrylics are a bugger when the bit exits the blank. sort of the same thing as metal. it takes a very light touch to not crack the blank. Not exiting is the best answer.

PaulSF

Actually, my problem here is with wood. I think the drill bit may be too close to the edge, or I'm going too fast.

With acrylic, I do go slowly, taking lots of breaks, just to avoid heat buildup. I've also found that resting the blank on a chunk of scrap wood or acrylic helps.

Top Bottom