It's Ice Cream Time

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

In a two page discussion on my site a member was showing how he made an ice cream scoop by using the chrome metal part and a turned handle by getting a scoop from the dollar store and smashing the plastic handle off and turning a wooden one to replace it.
I went to the dollar stores around here yesterday and they did not have any of the metal scoops but they had the wider style ice cream scoop in plastic and the plastic handle was all molded on as one piece. The handle was hollow. I turned it off on my lathe and drilled a hole and epoxied a wooden dowel into the scoop part. .
Next time I am over the border in USA , I will try to find some of the metal scoops at the dollar stores .
This is yet another example of just one of the many things that can be made on a lathe. Items like this sell like hotcakes at craft sales . It costs a dollar and a stick of firewood and will sell easily for $10.00 just because it is hand crafted.
Comments and/or critiques welcome

From this
PlasticScoop.jpg

To This

ScoopandHandle.jpg

To This

ScoopComplete.jpg

The dowel epoxied into the handle makes for a very strong connection between the two pieces.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

patharris

Local Chapter Leader
That's a fun idea and sure beats the price of the kits that are sold with the gold plated scoops. How strong is the plastic as far as using to scoop out some hard frozen ice cream as compared to the metal ones?

W.Y.

I have never used that type of scoop but the plastic parts appears to be very smooth and strong. I don't think it will be a problem on hard ice cream .
Hope I can find some of the round metal ones for the same price next time I go to the states. Some people on my WWF site are finding some nice metal ones and a few are showing their pictures of that style.

Top Bottom