Its been awhile since I posted any pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Old Lar

Old Lar

Finally got caught up from finishing orders for Christmas gifts and got a little time to post a few.

The first is a spalted grapefruit electra; the second is caragana on a slim - this a wood used in this area in windbreaks; the next is sunfllower hull on a jr gent, popular in this country-not fun to make; the last is a closed end truestone fp - I love to make closed end pens.

Comments welcome...

Attachments

• 666 Spalted Grapefruit Electra RB-sm.jpg
    666 Spalted Grapefruit Electra RB-sm.jpg
    18.6 KB · Views: 214
  • 679 Caragana slim-sm.jpg
    679 Caragana slim-sm.jpg
    16.7 KB · Views: 210
  • 657 Sunflower Hull Jr Gent RB-sm.jpg
    657 Sunflower Hull Jr Gent RB-sm.jpg
    33 KB · Views: 226
  • 681 Green-Red Truestone CE FP-sm.jpg
    681 Green-Red Truestone CE FP-sm.jpg
    30.4 KB · Views: 227
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

SDB777

Those are all exceptional turnings!

Can't pick a favorite, but would like to know more about the sunflower blank. Where did it come from(or did you make it)? Do you need to turn a little then apply thin CA to keep it together?

Scott (awesome stuff) B

D.Oliver

Larry that's a great bunch of pens. I really like that caragana slim, but I can see how that sunflower hull pen would be popular with the farmers in your area.

G1Pens

All are extremely nice. I'm partial to the TruStone...and oddly for me the sunflower....I've never thought the cast sunflower husks ever looked good...but that one is awesome

Old Lar

Thanks for the comments.

The sunflower hulls are very popular here in sunflower country. The blanks are called Dakota Burls that I bought somewhere on a closeout a couple years ago and brought out at the request of a customer. They are still available at CSUSA. (link below) I blew up a couple blanks trying to turn them with ca and turning tools. I now round them off on a belt sander and use 60 grit sandpaper to take them down to size. It isn't really turning, but hey, I am using the lathe to spin them. Whatever the customer wants.

http://www.woodturnerscatalog.com/s...ks___Dakota_Burl_Pen_Blank___dakota_burl?Args=

Thanks again.

Top Bottom