It's about that time of year....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jleiwig

jleiwig

When I need some ideas on what to make everyone for Christmas!

I made my FIL a pen for his birthday, and I don't think I'm making a pen for anyone else.

I have an idea of what I'm making my BIL/wife. I have no idea for the MIL though.

I was thinking of making an ornament for everyone as a small gift? Any quick and easy ones that look dramatic?

other ideas?

I had thought about the cheese/hors devours stuff from CSUSA, but I have no idea if she'd like it, let alone the quality. I'm not sure I'm up to snuff skill wise to make a vase. I guess I'll have time to practice.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ldb2000

As for Christmas ornaments , the mini bird houses were a big hit around here last Christmas . They are easy to make and look really cool . Order your little birds soon because they will sell out as we get closer to Christmas .

mickr

ornaments are great gifts ..many designs out there (if you can't hollow: make in 2 parts and glue together) make sure the MIL wears perfume: many people environmentally (allergic) do not...have fun, I'm sure you'll make great stuff

jleiwig

ornaments are great gifts ..many designs out there (if you can't hollow: make in 2 parts and glue together) make sure the MIL wears perfume: many people environmentally (allergic) do not...have fun, I'm sure you'll make great stuff

Yeah. I'm going to stick with something useful for the MIL. Plus all the girls will get pendants of some sort or another. So that's like 7 pendants to make, plus regular gifts....geez...lock me in the shop now so I get it all done!

jthompson1995

Little acorn ornaments are quick and easy, too. Make them in 2 parts, drill the bottom with a 5/8 to 3/4 forstner bit and use a jam spigot to turn, turn the tops to fit into the forstner hole and overhang the edge. no hollowing and once you get going, they only atke about 10 min to make start to finish.

RAdams

Banned
Little acorn ornaments are quick and easy, too. Make them in 2 parts, drill the bottom with a 5/8 to 3/4 forstner bit and use a jam spigot to turn, turn the tops to fit into the forstner hole and overhang the edge. no hollowing and once you get going, they only atke about 10 min to make start to finish.

I was watching "This Old House" earlier. They were restoring a staircase. They went to this shop and had a bunch of spindles turned. There were two different spindle designs they had to do. They fed the measurements into a computer and the CNC machine rough turned, and finish turned the piece at the same time with two indepenent heads. Took less than ten minutes to finish one spindle. The guy said if they were turning them by hand, They could do one in thirty.

When He started to ask how long it would take to hand turn one, My first thought was: "It would take me all day to make one of those". Then i felt like some kind of poser when he said thirty minutes. I often wonder how long it takes me compared to others to do certain tasks in the shop. Your ten minutes is more than likely my hour. But i keep at it, and that hard work is experience is disguise! I can make a slim start to finish, in about 45 minutes, which is 15 minutes faster than when i started!

On another note, i like to make little bowls, or platters or something. It isn't a kit item and usually doesn't cost me alot. Another cool one is a biscuit cutter, if she is into that kinda thing.

Top Bottom