Itch I cant scratch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Mike Powell

You guys ever have an itch you just cant scratch? Well, I have one and its turning into withdrawl symptoms.

I havent been able to turn a pen in nearly 4 months now. The stack of parts is growing on my dresser in the bedroom, and the boss is starting to get upset. Order shows up here and there, and it isnt moving. I came here everyday and see all of the beautiful peices of art you guys have made, and man I would KILL for a lathe and some tools. Three months to go, then ill be back in the shop.

You guys keep it going and keep giving me them ideas. I cant wait to try them when I get home.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

GRMiller

Mike I kinda feel your pain. while my last stay in the hosp. my wife decided to move my stuff into an upstairs bedroom and as now I just don't have the strength to make the climb. I know her reasoning but making the climb I'll need my oxygen as usual. I have 65% damage to my heart so the little things get me down. Will be looking forward to seeing some of your work.

Mike Powell

Dan, Im in Afghanistan, wont be home for a few more months.

GR, Hope your recovery is quick, and start small a few stairs at a time, it will build you up. Get up those Stairs mister, have a O2 tank placed at the top of the stairs for you for after your climb.

The wife counted out my stash last night, I have 72 blanks and 30 kits waiting for me, not including the 5 bottle stoppers kits, and also a chuck that she wants me to make her make up brushes out of. Its a good start, but im not done yet.

Last edited:

hard hat

having done deployments, IAP certainly helps with the release that only comes from a lathe. other than that, keeping a notebook with pen designs that come during hours of boredom and things that you see and like on here.

keep safe and return soon

HamTurns

Dan, Im in Afghanistan, wont be home for a few more months.

GR, Hope your recovery is quick, and start small a few stairs at a time, it will build you up. Get up those Stairs mister, have a O2 tank placed at the top of the stairs for you for after your climb.

The wife counted out my stash last night, I have 72 blanks and 30 kits waiting for me, not including the 5 bottle stoppers kits, and also a chuck that she wants me to make her make up brushes out of. Its a good start, but im not done yet.

Thank you for your service Mike, just think of all the fun you'll have when you get your hands on that lathe!

HamTurns

Mike I kinda feel your pain. while my last stay in the hosp. my wife decided to move my stuff into an upstairs bedroom and as now I just don't have the strength to make the climb. I know her reasoning but making the climb I'll need my oxygen as usual. I have 65% damage to my heart so the little things get me down. Will be looking forward to seeing some of your work.

How about asking your wife to move your stuff to where you can use it? Move something else into that room and bring your stuff downstairs. It would be good for your recovery to keep busy turning stuff.

After I had both of my hips replaced, during recovery I used our enclosed front porch as my temporary shop. That put everything on the same floor. It made a big difference to be able to walk a few feet and be able to have some fun turning.

Just an idea, good luck.

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
Stay safe Mike, you'll be back on your lathe soon and I know you'll be posting some awesome pens, I know you can wait.

Haynie

You should probably smack your travel agent. Afghanistan is not a very good vacation spot. :rolleyes:

I have not turned a pen in a year. I got seriously discouraged, with things constantly messing up, and the only hand made pens that sell around here are the free kind. Drop in a lengthy depression and not much has been done at all.

My two favorite pens were stolen off my desk so now I have an excuse to make a couple more. Designing for the bash has re-sparked an interest.

Mike Powell

Yea, my travel agent was fired on 1 Dec 13. just over four months after I return, I go into retired status. Then it is to school for a few years, and Look out Houston Area. Sgt Mike will be a RN on a floor near you.

Top Bottom