It will arrive...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DozerMite

Banned
this week.

Thanks to my MIL, I will have a metal lathe in my shop.

I will be getting the HF 7x12. After tax, shipping, and the 20% off coupon, it will arrive at my door for less than they have the 7x10 on sale for.:biggrin:

I heard some talk of a mill possibly joining the lathe in a couple months as a birthday gift.

Of course her basement is still getting a makeover--- that might have prompted the lathe purchase.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Padre

Good for you. Do you have experience with metal lathes? I have been thinking on one, but have absolutely no experience.

DozerMite

Banned
My experience is limited, but I have access to two machinist's and the toolroom at work.

They have been giving my tons of information and I even watch the one do some machining from time to time.

I have read a lot of information over the past few years since I have been wanting to get one for longer than that.

If you have the means, take the plunge. There's no better way to get experience than to make some mistakes.:beat-up:

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
Good for you DozerMite. Padre are there any local adult night classes at a votech nearby? WE used to have such a thing but they canceled them. great way to get started though.

BKelley

You will enjoy using the little 7x12. I have its step-brother Grizzly. They are identical except for color. They along with others are made by Sieg. Right off the bat goggle
"Little Machine Shop" they have a world of goodies for the 7x12. The quick change
tool post should be #1 on your accessories list. There are several websites that will be most helpful in setting up the 7x12. A 5 gallon bucket of kerosene with a stiff paint brush to clean the heavy grease off will come in handy. I am no expert on running one of these, but after about six months of playing I do have a working knowledge. If I can help you with it let me know. There is a milling attachment available from little machine shop for your lathe, this is next on my list. Get your self some 6061 aluminum and enjoy.

Ben

DozerMite

Banned
You will enjoy using the little 7x12. I have its step-brother Grizzly. They are identical except for color. They along with others are made by Sieg. Right off the bat goggle
"Little Machine Shop" they have a world of goodies for the 7x12. The quick change
tool post should be #1 on your accessories list. There are several websites that will be most helpful in setting up the 7x12. A 5 gallon bucket of kerosene with a stiff paint brush to clean the heavy grease off will come in handy. I am no expert on running one of these, but after about six months of playing I do have a working knowledge. If I can help you with it let me know. There is a milling attachment available from little machine shop for your lathe, this is next on my list. Get your self some 6061 aluminum and enjoy.

Ben

I searched all of the distributors I could find, including Grizzly($74 s&h:eek:), and went with the best deal. I've been looking at these for several years and always end up back at HF. Since they are all manufactured by the same company, all that really varies are the accessories. For the price differences, I can now use the savings to get some good quality add-ons instead of the ok stuff they usually include.

I've been through the "Little machine shop" website many times and the QCTP is at the top of the list along with the collet chuck (non MT) and the 18 piece collet set. The milling attachment might be nice, but if I get a mill in a couple months, probably won't need it.

I've also read everything on the mini-lathe website and know the pleasure I'm in for with the cleaning and tuning.

I have some 6061, brass, copper, and various steels including O1 drill rod. I also have some Delrin and nylon. I have machined the non-ferrous materials along with the plastics on my Jet 1014. I'm hoping this new machine will reduce the time invested and give consistant quality at the same time.

If you or anyone else has any other sites that are good for research and information, please post them.

DozerMite

Banned
congrats on the new toy!

New toys are always good.

I hope to one day, get it to do half what the "Rats" can do.:redface:
Although, I don't really want it for just pens. I have many other projects I've always wanted one for.

BKelley

Sounds like you have done your homework. You are right about the mill, I'm retired and my wife's salary won't accomadate a mill so I will have to go the lathe attachment route. I got a knurling tool for Christmas, works great on 6061 and brass haven't tried it on steel yet. Enjoy your new toy and like I said before, if I can help hollar at me.

Ben

manatee

I bought the Micro Mark 7 x 16 metal lathe last month and was so impressed with it that I also bought their Milling machine. They are both Sieg machines. Jose Rodrigues has a great DVD on the metal lathe. It is 4 hours and covers all lathe operations and some milling functions. I just ordered his Milling Machine dvd and will give a review on it. After 50 years of woodworking I'm starting a whole new hobby at 71! I am currently building a couple of air engines to learn metal working.

DozerMite

Banned
Thanks Ben.

I got shipping confirmation and it should arrive on Fri.:biggrin: I'm starting to get anxious... kind of like a kid at Christmas. Maybe more, since I haven't gotten a new tool in over five years.:redface: I will get some pics when it gets here.

DozerMite

Banned
Was expecting the new toy today but, it just got to the Chicago hub. It made three stops in CA before heading this way. Now the arrival date is Monday.:frown:
I guess that gives me a couple more days to CAD some more tooling.:rolleyes:

Top Bottom