It Was Turned...But..

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Charlie_W

Charlie_W

....just not by me.

While rearranging Wifey's sewing area and moving lights around, these showed up!

They are very old spools with thread I made into chain pulls for some of the fluorescent light fixtures. I just plugged one end and drilled a smaller hole for the chain. A teeny touch of glue holds the thread in place. One of the spools had a .25 cent price on it!
Wifey likes these!:biggrin:

The old quilt hanging on the wall is from my family. It is very, very old and made from scraps using the Courthouse Steps design. It was also hand tied instead if traditional quilting.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    234.7 KB · Views: 361
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbwertz

Great idea, and you have given me the answer to a problem I've been puzzling over. The Center for the Blind was given a BUNCH of keychain kits, and the crafts director asked me if there was some way we could convert them to fan pulls. I was trying to think of some way to attach the chains to the keychain kits. Now I know I will just plug one end with a bit of wood and drill a small hole to drop the chain through. I can then put a chain connector on the chain and drop it into the hole and put the finial on the other end.

By the way, the quilt is beautiful. I have a quilt my grandmother made for me right after I was married more than 50 years ago. It was made from scraps from clothing she had made for me and my brother over the years of our childhood. She saved all the scraps for the express purpose of making the quilt. Since it is a king sized quilt, she spent years making the squares and hand quilting it in a wedding ring pattern.

I can still remember the clothes she made from the various fabrics!

Charlie_W

Thanks all for the compliments.
It was just something that struck me one day. We have been in this house for 22 years and sometimes it takes a while for a good idea to pop into our brains!:biggrin: I have 4 of these spool light pulls and they are fun! We also had found several years ago, a string of lights that were spools of thread which we have hanging on one wall.

Sharon,
I am glad this sparked an idea for the Lighthouse! Please post some pics of their work when you can.
We have another old quilt hanging on another wall in her sewing area. They look cool and it helps conceal the fact that our basement is still unfinished.
We have some very old quilt tops in a trunk from my mom's house that were never quilted. I think some were from my grandmother and possibly my great grandmother....need to check with my mom.
Wifey wants me to pull them out so we can see if they may wash up and be something she can turn into some finished quilts. A true generational collaborative effort!

By the way, the need to rearrange her sewing area was not for my toys, but for her new toy....a long arm quilter with 12' rails!

Top Bottom