It started off innocently enough...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Spats139

I bought a couple woodturning lessons for my son and me; we had a fun weekend at the class - I caught the bug; he escaped. Next thing I'm attending the local guild (GVWG) meetings, turning the occasional piece of wood, and enjoying the new friends; then, a couple months back, someone did a demo on pens. It looked OK, but it wasn't going to get me away from bowls... right?

Well, LOML had picked up a couple pen blanks for me because she liked the look of the wood (I don't even know what kind because they weren't marked!), and about a month ago I finally decided that I should do something with them. A local store (KMS) was having a sale so I bought a few Slimline kits that were marked down to a couple bucks. That was about the time my world started to fall apart.

To make a pen, as it turns out, you need more than just a kit! You need a mandrel; and bushings (what'a ya mean there's more than one size); then there's the pen mill (yup, that's right; they come in different sizes too!); next is three different kinds of CA; two kinds of Hut pen finish; some Hut Ultra Gloss stuff because SWMBO also liked the look of some acrylic blanks; micro mesh (which apparently I can't buy locally, so had to make my first online order); and, well, you know the drill.

I finally turned that $2 Slimline about two weeks back; and as I held it in my hands, and then showed it to the family, something happened. I realized that making that pen had been FUN, and at the end of it I had something that was actually functional. I started to wonder if maybe there was more to this pen stuff and ended up lurking around this site for a while - there was no hope now.

To make a long story longer, I've made 17 pens in the last two weeks. I even walked to the postal outlet on Christmas Eve (car was snowed in) to pick up my package from Bear Tooth Woods - the one with 38 kits and as many blanks (wood and acrylic. Thanks again for the extra blanks Ernie); all necessary bushings and drill bits; another mandrel; and even velvet pen pouches! Yesterday I turned my first two Sierras; then today, two more Sierras, my first Cigar, my first Euro, and I even finished two of them with CA! Now, I'm typing on this site when I should have already gone to sleep. Maybe someone could start a new forum with a twelve step program!

OK, it looks like I'm hooked. I look forward to spending even more time here, and yes, I will get around to posting some pictures; just as soon as I follow those instructions for a light tent, get some lamps, a tripod, and ....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

USAFVET98

I bought a couple woodturning lessons for my son and me; we had a fun weekend at the class - I caught the bug; he escaped. Next thing I'm attending the local guild (GVWG) meetings, turning the occasional piece of wood, and enjoying the new friends; then, a couple months back, someone did a demo on pens. It looked OK, but it wasn't going to get me away from bowls... right?

Well, LOML had picked up a couple pen blanks for me because she liked the look of the wood (I don't even know what kind because they weren't marked!), and about a month ago I finally decided that I should do something with them. A local store (KMS) was having a sale so I bought a few Slimline kits that were marked down to a couple bucks. That was about the time my world started to fall apart.

To make a pen, as it turns out, you need more than just a kit! You need a mandrel; and bushings (what'a ya mean there's more than one size); then there's the pen mill (yup, that's right; they come in different sizes too!); next is three different kinds of CA; two kinds of Hut pen finish; some Hut Ultra Gloss stuff because SWMBO also liked the look of some acrylic blanks; micro mesh (which apparently I can't buy locally, so had to make my first online order); and, well, you know the drill.

I finally turned that $2 Slimline about two weeks back; and as I held it in my hands, and then showed it to the family, something happened. I realized that making that pen had been FUN, and at the end of it I had something that was actually functional. I started to wonder if maybe there was more to this pen stuff and ended up lurking around this site for a while - there was no hope now.

To make a long story longer, I've made 17 pens in the last two weeks. I even walked to the postal outlet on Christmas Eve (car was snowed in) to pick up my package from Bear Tooth Woods - the one with 38 kits and as many blanks (wood and acrylic. Thanks again for the extra blanks Ernie); all necessary bushings and drill bits; another mandrel; and even velvet pen pouches! Yesterday I turned my first two Sierras; then today, two more Sierras, my first Cigar, my first Euro, and I even finished two of them with CA! Now, I'm typing on this site when I should have already gone to sleep. Maybe someone could start a new forum with a twelve step program!

OK, it looks like I'm hooked. I look forward to spending even more time here, and yes, I will get around to posting some pictures; just as soon as I follow those instructions for a light tent, get some lamps, a tripod, and ....

You know whats funny, When I first started, I made pen after pen after pen and I thought I hope i dont start getting bored of this. Well guess whay? It is still as fun and interesting as the day I got back from grizzly and opened my new lathe. Something about turning a pice of a tree into something beatiful.
There is always something new to try, and you could always get better. Even David marks who is a top notch woodworker with sawdust in his veins makes mistakes and gets better after each piece.

Anyway, welcome to the board. You will notice that the people on here are like a special brotherhood of friends. I am amazed at how much I have learned from everyone here.

altaciii

Oh no, you too? Oh, the humanity! This afliction is spreading faster than anything the CDC has ever seen. I think aliens have invaded and in fected part of the population. Thats the only explanation, it has to be. It caught all of us in its nasty web and there is no escape. Why me, why me?? So, how much did you say that first pen cost you? Anyway, welcome to the point of no return. I can't wait to see the pics. Its great to have you on board!

Mazzywv

This hobby has claimed many innocent lives. But man what a way to go!!!

rej19

Yes, Your's is a classic case. Sorry to tell you there is no hope now. Don't worry. There are many of us here to share our "I just have to have it" stories. Welcome.

Welcome to IAP! This site is an amazing resource as you continue pen making. I would not be where I am in this hobby if not for this site.

Just wait until people start buying your pens, the addiction will get even worse. When someone is willing to hand over their cash for something you made it feels great.

The nice thing about this hobby(addiction) is that this is one of the few hobbies where the hobby can pay for itself and more when you get really good(I'm not there yet). Keep telling yourself that to justify buying hundreds of dollars of blanks and kits, its always worked for me!

Good luck and ask lots of questions,
-Joseph

JimB

All you need to do is sell your pens for about $5,000,000,000,000.00 each and you may have enough money coming in to keep up with your new spending addiction.

Welcome to the group! Your introductory "missive" was very enjoyable, entertaining, and humorous. I promise that each and every one of us in the IAP has had the same experiences, encountered the same feelings. Thanks for the memories!

bitshird

Hello Dale, My Name is Ken and I to am an addict, sure it starts off innocently enough you do a couple dozen slimlines then you discover that they are just a gateway pen, then nit's on to more exotic woods, better kits, Laser engraving, We are all here to help you suffer this wonderful addiction

Spats139

Thanks for the warm welcome

Many of you have already helped more than you know. I've read hundreds of posts and have already used some of the tips that I picked up; which wasn't easy since so many of you have different ways of doing the same thing, and each of you is adamant that yours if the right way.

But, the one post that had the most impact was one by Vaiger (their only one I believe) in a thread about CA finishing. The advice was, "If you are thinking about doing the CA finish, just get out there and do it and see what happens!" The next day I went out and did just that and was amazed at the results.

Anyway, I've finished shoveling snow out of the driveway; time to head out to the shop.

Dale

lwalden

Many of you have already helped more than you know. I've read hundreds of posts and have already used some of the tips that I picked up; which wasn't easy since so many of you have different ways of doing the same thing, and each of you is adamant that yours if the right way.

But, the one post that had the most impact was one by Vaiger (their only one I believe) in a thread about CA finishing. The advice was, "If you are thinking about doing the CA finish, just get out there and do it and see what happens!" The next day I went out and did just that and was amazed at the results.

Anyway, I've finished shoveling snow out of the driveway; time to head out to the shop.
Dale

Welcome to the addiction, Dale. And while you're shoveling snow, I had the AC on in Dallas yesterday- 80 degrees most of the day..........

broitblat

Welcome, Dale!

It helps to share pictures resulting from your affliction. It won't contribute to a cure, but it will make you feel better.

-Barry

nava1uni

Welcome to a great site, amazing addiction and loss of money. This site will help you maintain your addiction-it will do nothing to help it abate.LOL
It is so cool when it all comes together and the finished pen makes you sooooo happy. Put your spare change in a jar to help defray all of the costs. It will make a teeny tiny dent.

chriselle

Welcome .....you're doomed. Capt. Kirk couldn't even save save you from this black hole.

One thing though... you CAN become a millionaire making pens. The only hitch is that you have to start with 2 million..:wink:

Top Bottom