It made it home...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

lago

We just came back from a long cruise in the eastern Mediterrean. We did a shore excursion to Bethlehem and as usual, they made a rest stop at local store on the way back to the ship. This one happened to be a shop that had nothing but carvings of any kind/descripton made of olivewood.

I finally got someone to understand that all I wanted was a piece of wood. I hauled home a block of olivewood that cost a couple of bucks and so far, looks like I have about 10 usable blanks.

Can't wait to see what it will look like when turned. This is my first attempt on olivewood.

Lago

scotirish

Congratulations on your hall. Olive wood is great to turn, a real pleasure. :smile-big::smile-big: The closer it is to being freshly harvested and kept out of the air, the greater the smell. When first cut the aroma that fills my shop is the same a when opening a jar of green olives. Even my wife, who is upstairs often smells it.
Have fun with it! Looking forward to seeing pictures.
Merry Christmas and Happy New Year.
Ron

randyrls

Yes Indeed! Olivewood is one of the easiest and nicest woods to turn. Takes a finish well, looks nice, tight grained wood with few pores.

Your should be happy with this. Even if not highly figured/grained, I have used it for Celtic knot pens.

SDB777

We just came back from a long cruise in the eastern Mediterrean. We did a shore excursion to Bethlehem and as usual, they made a rest stop at local store on the way back to the ship. This one happened to be a shop that had nothing but carvings of any kind/descripton made of olivewood.

I finally got someone to understand that all I wanted was a piece of wood. I hauled home a block of olivewood that cost a couple of bucks and so far, looks like I have about 10 usable blanks.

Can't wait to see what it will look like when turned. This is my first attempt on olivewood.

Lago

How much was the cruise? Don't forget to add that cha-ching into the price per blank:eek:

Have you taken any photo's of the blanks yet? I'd like to visualize the great score! And did you have to ship them back, or were you able to bring them on the cruise?

Scott (honey, let's take a cruise) B

Top Bottom