It is not amboyna!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from CharlesH

CharlesH

Hey guys,

Some might think it looks like orange amboyna but this is logwood burl, my last blank, the nicest I had.

It didn't went too well, my mandrel wasn't really straight when I turned that one, the pen has some sort of little ridge in the light in a specific position. Also, it was quite a challenge to align the grain but hey I am being a picky bastard!

Nonetheless this specific burl is hard to come by and off to my burl pen collection it goes. Hand made pens are not meant to be perfect aren't they?

20ish coats of medium CA and clicky the thumbnails!

Thanks for looking,

Charles

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BSea

Beautiful! I love the logwood myself have around 6 pcs left and I cant make myself use them.
Did your hands turn purple? that's the best part.
I did a logwood pen this summer. You're right, it does make your fingers & hands purple. But you should have seen the floor of my garage when some water mixed with the shavings.:eek: And that is a beautiful pen. I'm a big fan of logwood burl.

SDB777

Where's the thumbs up smiley!!

As always, you are doing great things in penturning....very impressed with the finish!

Scott (A+++) B

philb

Great pen yet again!

Have made a couple of Logwood Burl pens myself and they sold fast! Have about 5/6 more pieces left to do, waiting for the right pen though!! Always reminds me of padauk when turning as the dust is fine and sticks to everything, oh and its bright orange!

PHIL

edicehouse

Most people I show pens to prefer the polyresin/acryic/ect pens. I for one do not understand, that pen right there is the exact reason I personally prefer the looks of a wood pen.

CharlesH

Just out of curiousity how many pens are in your collection? You've made some real beauties.

I try to keep 24, I have a rosewood case which fit that amount. To me, a sane level of pens in my collection should be what fit in this case. :p

So when a nicer one is made one has to go! :)

C

CharlesH

Most people I show pens to prefer the polyresin/acryic/ect pens. I for one do not understand, that pen right there is the exact reason I personally prefer the looks of a wood pen.

In my humble opinion, wood as much more character, it has characteristics that varies from one kind to the other much like how everyone is different. To me nothing come close to the beauty of it! :D

C

Top Bottom