It helps to keep things clean!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

I finally finished cleaning up my casting "studio":rolleyes: tonight. It desperately needed it! I went through everything and reorganized and while doing so I found something I've been searching for for over a year now....my ORIGINAL recipie book!!!!! I spent these last couple hours rewriting them in my new system and man it brought back some memories. I haven't been able to recreate certain blanks since I first made them (back when I wrote every single detail down). Now I get to try and recreate this (which is always a favorite when I show to other turners):

This was way back when I was still using castin craft!

I took a few snapshots of my casting studio: (2nd pic top right is my homemade photo box, it doesn't look like much but man it helps ALOT!)
100_2437700x525.jpg
100_2438700x525.jpg

I was also able to make enough space to move in a small display area for some of my fav pens

100_2440700x525.jpg

Felt like sharing, thanks for looking!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

Lol...trust me, this morning you couldn't see the floor, countertop, and EVERYTHING on the right side of the molds was either covered with something or was in another room not getting used. I've been wanting to get my woodburning stuff out for a while so i finally got motivated (after my morning casting session that is!)

Drstrangefart

Mine is the Bizarro to your work space's Superman. My photo area is just a folded up white t-shirt or a Magic: The Gathering playmat. My Base/Shop/Ment is also heavily used storage area as well as Kludge Central for whatever else breaks. It looks like a once well-organized sane man had his soul killed in that room.....

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
MY daughter asked me just yesterday if anyone used a color wheel when making blanks. LOL

omb76

Looks good Jonathon! Your story reminds me of that episode of Seinfeld where Elaine finds the Soup Nazi's secret recipes in the chest that he gave to Kramer. "No soup for you!" :biggrin:

Brooks803

2 things. 1) is that a gas can on the counter? 2) what do you have in the toaster oven? It looks like tupperware.

Lol..I was wondering if someone was going to ask about that! That's no ordinary gas can. That's my highly sophisitcated resin containment unit! :tongue: It's a helluva (<--- it's a southern thing) lot easier to pour out of than the 1 gallon can (pictured in the corner of the countertop. Just don't try and use the pour spout with the can. I just use that part to seal it when not in use. Works great!

In the toaster oven are what used to be my old molds (seen here: http://kitkraft.biz/product.php?productid=2682&cat=179&page=4). I've got probably 8 laying around so I use them for post curing once I get them out of my silicone molds.

MY daughter asked me just yesterday if anyone used a color wheel when making blanks. LOL

LOL...well to tell the truth, I've never used it! I bought it months ago and just found it last night so I put it up! Who knows, maybe it'll help in some way.

seamus7227

Jonathon, not sure if you already know this, but i have a color wheel also and they help in getting to know which colors match up well with others! This could be a great benefit to you since you are making those blanks. Complimentary colors are very pleasing to the eye, you should read into how those wheels can help you!

2 things. 1) is that a gas can on the counter? 2) what do you have in the toaster oven? It looks like tupperware.

Hmmm, how many gallons are you typically using in a weeks time? At least out of that can? I like that idea! Its a helluva one if you ask me!:biggrin:

Brooks803

Hmmm, how many gallons are you typically using in a weeks time? At least out of that can? I like that idea! Its a helluva one if you ask me!:biggrin:

LOL...well before exotics I was using about 1 gallon every 3-4 days

NOW...sometimes a gallon in the AM and again in the PM if I'm able to demold before it gets too late.

As you can see, my orders on the top shelf are still there! Newer orders, but neverending all the same!

The gas can is holding up perfectly with all this use too.

Bobalu

That's a great looking work area, even if it doesn't stay that neat and clean long. I once had a shop that neat, but that was back in the 70's. Can't remember where my workbench is now. Must be under the pile of plastic storage boxes with all the hardware kits in them. How are those Vertical molds working for you?

arw01

The gas can is holding up perfectly with all this use too.

So you just take the spot lock off and pour straight from the can?

In wonder if one could get one of those liquid detergent containers clean from the factory with the special nozzles and use that as a container? Hmm might have to look for something like that if I get interested in this stuff...

PTownSubbie

I can't believe that carpet on the floor doesn't look bad! My spillage is horrible and I couldn't work on a carpet if my life depended on it!!

I didn't force this did I? LOL!! Funny how my shop got cleaned when I had the locals over.....:rolleyes:

Brooks803

I can't believe that carpet on the floor doesn't look bad! My spillage is horrible and I couldn't work on a carpet if my life depended on it!!

I didn't force this did I? LOL!! Funny how my shop got cleaned when I had the locals over.....:rolleyes:

Lol...perhaps I should get some plastic drop cloths before you arrive then :eek:

Good thing about small batch sizes is I don't spill as much as I would if I still used my old molds. That blob of orange was my latest spill, and the reason why I don't wear a glove on my right hand anymore. When I'd go to do my "check" stirs I'd let go of the stir stick, but the glove wouldn't bc of the sticky resin and I kept knocking over the cups. NO MORE!

Fred, you didn't quite "force" this. It's been something I put off for way too long. Besides, if I didn't there would only be enough room for 1 person in there. Now we'll have some room to make a mess while you're here. The rest of the house might be a disaster, especially the actual work shop, but atleast we'll be able to get some casting done:cool:

Top Bottom