It has been a while!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from lyonsacc

lyonsacc

20230507_114829.jpg20230507_114606.jpg

Just before Covid hit we moved my ailing parents to an assisted living facility near us (they were previously 4 hours away). A large portion of their 4 bedroom house resides in our basement (most of it in my workshop). With the additional time taken to care for my Mom (Dad passed early on from Covid) I haven't been in the workshop much until this summer. I turned a couple JohnU blanks - snake skin, and my favorite candy (always a joy to turn his blanks). Finished off some pens for a friend. He bought an old run-down Carnegie library and with the intent to rehab it into some office space and a restaurant. These were made from one of the old rafters. They were some of the hardest pens I have had to make! Old pine. The growth rings are very hard, they chip pretty easily, so I would soak them with CA and turn a little off, then soak with CA again . . . . And sanding was nearly impossible. The growths rings are so hard they would barely sand and the soft wood would fly off, so I ended up with a very wavy feeling pen. Ended up having to turn them smooth with a square end carbide tool and not touch them with sand paper. I still have 10 more waiting to finish turning. But was nice to get back into the workshop. (Also built a desk with my son, which was a really good time)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I love the pens (ALL!). Your situation parallels with mine - I am still yet to get back to turning. Nice to see your work - and I'll second the beauty of the old pine - very nice.

jttheclockman

Welcome back to the fray. Nice work on all pens. Sorry about your Dad. I lost my sister to covid also. It is always good to get back in the shop and get into that hands on operations again. Takes the mind away from surroundings and is a calming effect. Look forward to more from your shop.

leehljp

Member Liaison
If you have the ability to "stabilize" blanks, it would certainly would not hurt, and might help the cross cut pine blanks. Since they are extra dry, it may not be a problem, but that cut for the majority of woods - is the most likely to crack unless stabilized. The reason is, particularly with pine is the wood movement during numerous humidity swings combined with high temp swings. Because you coated it constantly during turning, that might be enough. But don't put them in a window or where the sun can shine on them directly for a few hours, as that can cause cracks.

Those pens stand out to me! I really like them.

SteveJ

Welcome back. Sorry about your dad. Nice pens, with a good challenge for getting back to the shop. I'll bet it made the JohnU blanks that much more pleasurable to turn.

Top Bottom