it doesn't fit

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

dozuki

I am trying to put togeathe a classic american pen kit. it looks like it should work like a cigar pen when you twist to top the penextends. My problem is that the instructions call for 1/8 of the wood to be removed from the top of the pen and the center band is to be pressed onto that. There is a huge gap between the brass tube and the center band, there is no way they can be joined without some kind of connector. Am I missing a piece? help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wpenm

Not sure if I understand but it sounds like it should have been a tennon cut and not cut all the way to the tube. If that is the case, I would glue a piece back on and return it to make a tennon to fit the center band. I recently did a did a similar pen. The instructions called for a tennon but the center band pressed onto the tube. Maybe you have a mixed up set of instructions like I did. Hope this helps and good luck.

dozuki

You are probably right. the instructions say to remove the wood being carefull not to damage the brass tube. it didn't actually say to cut all the way to the tube. i'll try the tenon but that puts the center band very close to the pocket clip.

vick

if I am thinking of the right kit (rollerball with a click on cap) the tendon is cut all the the way to the tube. For the American Ball point double twist style the tendon does not go all the way to the tube.

Is it possible that you mixed up the instruction and the kit,both are called American.

vick

20056122502_americana%20rollerball.jpg

200561225014_AmericanBallpoint.jpg

I have added pictures the top is the American rollerball that you cut the tendon to the tube. The bottom is the Americana ball point that you cut a partial tendon on.

I looked up the instructions for the ball point and that seems to be what you are reffering to. I have only made this pen with the CSU kit but if they are the same the middle bushing should have a loose ring on it. You would turn the pen to the diameter of this ring, then cut your 1/8 tendon down until it is the diameter of the lower bushing( or the ring will slide over your tendon). Hope this helps.

Rudy Vey

If you have a problem with a pen, please specify what type of pen it is and who makes (Berea, CSUSA, PSI)it. It is easier for us to determine what you are talking about. I assume you mean you make an American style Flattop ballpoint pen. If you use the Berea type of pen, one I make a lot of, there are two small rings, a black plastic and a metal one that have to be slid onto the centerband <b>before</b> you press this onto the brass tube. There is normally no gap between the centerband assembly and the wood if correctly assembled.

Bob A

Another thing to check. If it is in fact the American rollerball pictured in Mike's post, the centerband is three pieces. The centerband itself and two rings, one gold in color and one black. Not putting these rings on would leave a gap.

Bob A

OOPS!! Sorry Rudy, I just saw that I posted the same answer as you. [B)] Guess I should read all the posts thoroughly before I post.

Sounds as if both pens have the same type of centerband.

airrat

I too have had errors with those CSUSA and Berea kits with similiar names. I misread the name of the one I was doing and ended up putting the bushing of one brand on the blanks with the kit of the other. Got finished and have a set of beautiful blanks with Turq inlay that does not fit anything. brings a tear to your eyes.[:(]

Next time the motto is slower is better. I double check it now and write the name of the kit and maker on the blank when choosing it.

dozuki

I got this kit at woodcraft. it looks like the kit where you cut the partial tennon. It doesn't have a lose ring. I think I'll have to measure the step down on the bushing and try to cut the tennon to that depth. It looks to be about an 1/8in.
next time ill try to post a picture with my question. If I can figure out how. thanks for all the help[:D]

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In the upper left-hand corner of the Home page, there is a link to help posting photos. It answers most questions. If it doesn't answer yours, please email Jeff and he will take care of the question as well as add the answer to the FAQ's. [8D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by dozuki
<br />I got this kit at woodcraft. it looks like the kit where you cut the partial tennon. It doesn't have a lose ring. I think I'll have to measure the step down on the bushing and try to cut the tennon to that depth. It looks to be about an 1/8in.
next time ill try to post a picture with my question. If I can figure out how. thanks for all the help[:D]
Ow we are geting some where.
If you bought the Kit at Wood Craft there will be a tock or model numder on the bag.
If you post that nuber it is possible to view the instructions on their site.
WC uses the name American Classic for a pen that is a copy of a Parker style,
Classic Amewrican is naother name used by another supplier for an entirely different pen.
With WC"s number there will be no doubt what you are referring to.
Got the or of names mixed up.
is this the pen you are attempting?
web1964big.jpg

If it is there is no tenon it is parted of to the tube.
The center band comes as previously explained.A large ring with a gold and black ring goes on to the turned of brass section.
If you scraped the brass too much it will not stay on with out a little "ingenuity".use a brass taper punch to expand the tube to fit the decorative band after you have put it on.
That was the first 10 or 20 pens I ever made about a year ago and they are a PITA.

dozuki

Thnks to everyone for the help. It is satin nickel american. Kit 142409. The center band came assembled and when i cut the 1/8 off there was absolutly no way to press it on. I just cut a tennon. still working on posting a pic.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Good luck and I hope you don't need it.
There are some component sets that are like the old Timex, you can do anything to them and they will always work.
The "kit" you have chosen is not one of those,
The length of the upper barrel is critical for the transmission to "seat" and work properly.
The large gold ring should "press fit on the tube" If you took off too much brass it is still possible to get the ring to "seat" without the use of glue and have no idea how you are going to make a tenon work.
I chose the"kit " you mentioned to do my first 20 pens.
I don't care for the kit as good as it looks.
I wish The "B" company would convert that stye to the samee they use in the Perfect Fit. That set of componennts is foolproof yet it is simiar in constuction.
I honestly hope you prove me wrong.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom