Is my poly still good?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

austing458

I have about half of a container of Min-wax high gloss polyurethane that froze a few times in my garage and was wondering if it is still good? (ice did form on top of it)
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
If it were me, I'd toss it and buy new, But, you could always try some on scrap wood and see how it acts.

jttheclockman

I have about half of a container of Min-wax high gloss polyurethane that froze a few times in my garage and was wondering if it is still good? (ice did form on top of it)
Any advice is appreciated.
Thanks

Now when a question like that comes up I always ask the person what is cheaper, to buy a new can or do the finishing a couple times after you try useing it and ruining it. You have now introduced an element that is not natural so I would dispose of it properly. Remember there are laws. PS don't store finishes in a place that will freeze or get too hot. Lesson learned.

KenV

Jelled = partially cured

Partially cured means it will likely be a troublesome finish

Probably was age and oxygen rather than freezing for solvent based finish. Water based finishes do NOT like to be frozen.

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
You have 2 choices. Throw it away now, or throw it away after you have tried to use it and then have to get it off the wood so you can use a good finish.

Any finish that turns to a gel is gone, and there is no amount of thinner that will save it.

Top Bottom