Is it possible to get Jr.Gent FP tubes to fit the JR.Gent Ballpoint?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Hi,

Long shot here!

I've pre-drilled and glued my last two pieces of Hackberry with the 10.5 & 12.5mm tube for Jr.Gents Fountains, and the customer now wants a swap to the Jr.Gent Ballpoint, which are 10 and 12mm!

Any ideas?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

philb

Been trying to get them to go for a Rollerball! That would be too easy!

Wish shipping wasn't two weeks from the US would be much easier, or someone in the UK stocked it!

PenMan1

Here's a LONG SHOT that at least deserves a look. Jr Gent II fp/rb uses drill sizes of 12.5 and 10.5 drill sizes. Gent BP uses 12 and 10 drill sized. That difference is only .01968 inch difference.

You CAN segment the top and bottom of each barrel with contrasting material glued and squared on the Ballpoint tubes. Then measure to get the length of each tube exact for the ballpoint. Then simply glue the ballpoint tubes inside the existing Gent II tubes.

IT CAN BE DONE! DAMHIKT:)

IPD_Mr

Here's a LONG SHOT that at least deserves a look. Jr Gent II fp/rb uses drill sizes of 12.5 and 10.5 drill sizes. Gent BP uses 12 and 10 drill sized. That difference is only .01968 inch difference.

You CAN segment the top and bottom of each barrel with contrasting material glued and squared on the Ballpoint tubes. Then measure to get the length of each tube exact for the ballpoint. Then simply glue the ballpoint tubes inside the existing Gent II tubes.

IT CAN BE DONE! DAMHIKT:)

Andy do you have any pictures since I can't ask how you know that? :rotfl:

PenMan1

Sounds like a good plan! Thanks.

You would think 0.5mm was that big until you size the two tubes next to each other!

Thanks, it's not a GOOD plan, but it is a plan that will work.

The key is measuring EXACTLY the length of the BP tube for each barrel. Then cutting the FP/RB blank leaving room at the top and bottom for your new segments. Put one squared "segment" (using brass or aluminum between the segments and the old barrels adds interest) onto the BP tube with epoxy glue. Then, epoxy the BP tube (you may want to "dry fit" first) and slide the BP tube inside the Gent II tube. Then add your drilled segment to the other end of the tube.

USE EXTRA CARE to make sure that the segments are glued to the existing barrels.

Good luck!

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
I have both the jr gent ballpoint tubes and the jr gent FP tubes. The lower tube should fit inside each other with just minimum sanding. MIne would press fit pretty easily as they are now. The upper tube has some slop between the tubes. But you could glue the smaller inside the larger and it would be close enough to centered that you shouldnt have a problem turning the blank down.

PenMan1

Or...glue in a hardwood dowel...re-drill dead center on the lathe...and carry on my wayward son!

The problem with the dowel is that the tube may interfere with lathing down the blank to fit the hardware connect points. The gent II doesn't have a whole bunch of "meat" on the tube.

philb

I have both the jr gent ballpoint tubes and the jr gent FP tubes. The lower tube should fit inside each other with just minimum sanding. MIne would press fit pretty easily as they are now. The upper tube has some slop between the tubes. But you could glue the smaller inside the larger and it would be close enough to centered that you shouldnt have a problem turning the blank down.

This was the winner!

The lower tube was a very tight fit, a quick spin with the 120Grit on the lathe and the tube fitted inside suggly. The upper tube was not such a tight fit, but wasn't showing a gap anymore than what you might see from a wandering drillbit. I used thick CA and the tube held well! Even thoughh the two upper tubes were not dead centred there was easily enough meat left in the wood when turned down! All in a great solution, happy customer and happy me!

Many thanks for all the suggestion, I would of like to do the dowel method. But with one piece of wood left and that one being already drilled and time being very short, the simpler option was ideal!!

Phil

Top Bottom