Is it Illegal?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

designer

Or is it controlled by the US Feds since they want to control everything else?

I just turned my first 3 pieces of wood. All scrap pieces. Just playing. I love it! Played with beads and tapers. Made a mess.

Someone here has the comment of "Welcome to the Addiction". Now I understand what you mean.

Thank you All for your help getting me started with my questions and reading previous posts on different subjects. Ya'll done be a big help. Good thing I have lots of scrap to play with before I actually make anything real.

I am not sure what I like better? Rod Building or wood turning. Well I will mix the two now.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

seamus7227

So I'm curious, Why did you start your thread with "Is it Illegal" Were you talking about the addiction? Then no, VERY ILLEGAL!!!! LOL

designer

Yeppir! The addiction. Now this is fun and enjoyable. I thought I had some ideas for fishing rod handles, now I have so many more. Yeah, this is gonna be fun.

Russianwolf

Yeah, I used to think sex was the most fun you could have without being illegal..... then I read some of the stupid laws on the books about it, so I guess I'm illegal there.

To the best of my knowledge, this isn't illegal......YET.

65GTMustang

If the IAP is going to support turners and help us all help each other - then there should be a support group for those trying to kick the habit....lol :)
Just like a State Lotto offers Gambling help to those that treat it as more than just a game.
Do we need to start a Wood Workers Anonymous support group?
The WWA....

IPD_Mrs

Yeah, I used to think sex was the most fun you could have without being illegal..... then I read some of the stupid laws on the books about it, so I guess I'm illegal there.

To the best of my knowledge, this isn't illegal......YET.

ROFLMAO . . . those are some of the stupidest laws I have ever read - and if I ever get arrested in my life probably the ones they would nab me on :eek::wink::biggrin:

Mrs.

designer

The Gov can control almost everything:) Some things we can still get away with legally.

Two more pieces and looking a bit better. There is a lot more room for improvement before I make a pen though.

Fortunately for us, the feds have not caught us doing what we like to do. LOL

Fred

The Gov can control almost everything:) Some things we can still get away with legally.

Two more pieces and looking a bit better. There is a lot more room for improvement before I make a pen though.

Fortunately for us, the feds have not caught us doing what we like to do. LOL

OK, I'll take the stab at you ... Are you bragging and/or complaining or what? My dad always told me that practice makes perfect.

And to this day GA still has some of the absolute dumbest and antiquated sex laws around! I have often wondered just 'who' does the reporting to the LEO's anyway ... I believe it is the little ole b_tch up the street that does not like ice cream either!

designer

It appears I really ticked someone her off by being so politically motivated.

What was messaged to me is "There are some on this forum that you will fit right in with. Especially those that hate our government."

I would like to apologize for my sense of humor. Let me please clarify this. I love this country. It is by far the best in the world in my opinion. I enlisted in the Air Force in '69. I get out and I vote. I am NOT anti government. One nice thing about this country is you can make jokes. In this forum I will no longer do that though. As my work gets more presentable I plan to participate in the Pens for Troops as well.

And turning is still addictive.

Allan

LEAP

Allan there is nothing wrong with having a laugh on the forum. Some people just don't seem to have a sense of humor. Just delete the message and feel sorry for them. Don't let it stop you from having fun. I got a smile from your post and appreciate you making it. The IAP is my "fix" when I can't get to the shop to feed the addiction.

mrcook4570

It appears I really ticked someone her off by being so politically motivated.

What was messaged to me is "There are some on this forum that you will fit right in with. Especially those that hate our government."

I would like to apologize for my sense of humor.

No need to apologize for anything. I appreciate your humor. I am sure most others do as well. Some people just like to stir the pot.

designer

@Stan Thanks. I got my head around it now and have categorized the messages properly. Yeppir, time to move on again. I guess if I watch the pot it won't boil over.

@ Buzzzz4 Yeah you are right. BTW, How did you folks do on your side of the state. We got spared here compared to a lot of the country.

Now to try my first real pen today. I have been practicing and sharpening and resharpening. Slimlines are not that expensive so if I ruin it....well I have 2 more sitting here. It is sunny right now, so it looks like a red oak type of day.

Thanks
Allan

Atherton Pens

Yeah, turning is an addiction. Is it illegal? Well if it were, most of us would be "under" the jail by now. I think some of us do it "under the cover of darkness" just to be safe and not get caught.

As for the support group.....

Hello, my name is Gary and I turn pens. That's my confession!

designer

ROFLMAO Good one Gary! I hope after I get married she does not get jealous of my little lathe and happiness it gives me. Maybe blackout curtains and good inside lights?

jimofsanston

I am lost! About what the orginal statement was about. But they say that is what happens when you get older. Now i know what my parents was always telling me. Or was that what i wanted to remember. I keep forgeting. Now what was i talking about to start with?

ctubbs

Allen, thank you for the laugh. Political correctness is a bane and a pain in the posterior. I like your joke and when the fun goes out of what I am doing, I'll find something else or somewhere else to do and be. When you get one of the 'hate' mails, just figure out how sad that person really is and feel sorry for them.
Smile, it makes people wonder what you have been up to or what you are on. Keep then guessing and you keep smiling.
Charles

designer

I do enjoy having fun both verbally and hands on. Political correctness is not one of my strong points. I like to laugh and will not stop doing that....well maybe for a second or so but right back at it. Life is a journey. Enjoy it. Otherwise you get too depressed and that ain't no fun. I think on my signature I will add "Expect the best, plan for the worst and you will be ready for what comes". I am getting older but I will never grow up!

BTW, the epoxy is still drying on the tubes so I cannot turn. I must have mixed it wrong. It will be ready by morning to turn though....I hope.

bitshird

I turned telling animefan to quit making so many pens and turning so much, it would or he'd go blind!! Then he walked up behind me and said" Ken I'm over here">>>

designer

Alright! Who turned out the lights!

Well my first two are done. Yes, I did take pics of the first one. Apple wood. Chrome Slimline. The second was Fir, chrome slimline. Now to figure out how to get the pics off the camera to the pc. As soon as I do I will post them. Boy you sure can tell they are my first ones. NOTHING like the quality and craftsmanship I see here. At least I have a target to shoot for.

Buzzzz4

"@ Buzzzz4 Yeah you are right. BTW, How did you folks do on your side of the state. We got spared here compared to a lot of the country."

We survived. 14 inches or so fell. It's about 20 inches deep. Schools were cancelled for the last three days more because of sidewalks not getting cleared. It was great to see the neighborhood get together to help get all the driveways cleaned out.

designer

I am in a more favorable area. We got about 8, maybe 10" is all. A LOT better than most. There are a lot of woods around so drifting was not a big problem. Talk about some good luck. I am almost half way between you and the Thumb. They got nailed too. I was up there today and the road signs just had the tops showing. We got lucky here big time. I have to admit that it is nice living in a part of the state where storms are in the process of taking a break before they get their second wind.

All of you in Michigan and the rest of the Country be careful....No heart attacks allowed so take it easy....this too shall pass for everyone. Hey! summer is only a few months away now. Believe it or not, spring is even closer. LOL

Pen lathes are small. Even I have mine in my basement apartment. Love this hobby. Just kinda expensive starting out.

Top Bottom