Is FW worth the subscription price

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Haynie

I have been toying with the idea of subscribing to Fine Woodworking. I do not subscribe to any magazines or online things because I have been sorely disappointed with past experiences. I have searched through the Fine Woodworking website and there seems to be a lot there but not sure how useful it is.

Anyone here subscribe and have you found it worth the money? Money is pretty tight these days so these things need to be thought out.

Yes, I know about their 14 day thing but I am looking for opinions about the long haul.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Re: Fine Woodworking

Haynie,

At one time I suscribed to FW and Fine Home Building from the same publisher. I really liked both, they challenged my skills while explaining methods, tools and materials I was not familiar with. Why don't you buy a few copies either at the news stand or order back issues from the publisher, then you will know if it's for you?

Regards,

Larry

I have been toying with the idea of subscribing to Fine Woodworking. I do not subscribe to any magazines or online things because I have been sorely disappointed with past experiences. I have searched through the Fine Woodworking website and there seems to be a lot there but not sure how useful it is.

Anyone here subscribe and have you found it worth the money? Money is pretty tight these days so these things need to be thought out.

Yes, I know about their 14 day thing but I am looking for opinions about the long haul.

SCR0LL3R

A better deal would be to get the DVD archive of Fine Woodoworking...223 issues for $100. I bought the 2009 or 2010 version(I think it's 2009). It's really nice and the index is awesome. You can do an electronic search of all the issues for a topic you are interested in. I know some people prefer the physical magazine to hold on to, but I couldn't justify getting a subscription when this package deal was so cheap.

http://store.finewoodworking.com/2011-fine-woodworking-magazine-archive-01a040.html

I do have to admit that I didn't use it as much as I thought I would but I am still glad that I bought it.

Sawdust46

I subscriibe to FW and also pay for online access to all their back data and articles (about $13 per year). I obviously think it's worth it. The magazine is at a challenging level, above the level of most of the other mags I have seen. With their online access I can reseach an issue I may be having on a particular project.

Bree

I have had an FW subscription longer than any magazine I subscribe to. I feel like I have most everything on the DVD but in hard copy. It's a great magazine. Best there is in woodworking if you ask me. I think it is worth it and the online is good if you are looking for tool reviews, techniques and the like.
:wink::wink::wink:

Top Bottom