Is Finish needed over engraving & Colorfill

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

I am about to bestow two pens on the preachers at our church.

I had them engraved and then I color filled them.

Is an "over" finish needed?

Thanks for any information you can supply....

I didn't want to hijack the other thread about almost the same question.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
If its a wood pen, I agree with Constant.

If it is resin, it's debatable. I believe CA is likely to chip off some resins.

I have been finishing my pens as normal , then I take them to the engraver . If they require any filling , I use Rub-n-Buff from the Arts & Crafts stores . They have an assortment of colors . You need to have a smooth surface , as this stuff will fill every scratch . DAMHIKT :redface: :rolleyes:

GEEEZZEE, Dale

I have been finishing my pens as normal , then I take them to the engraver . If they require any filling , I use Rub-n-Buff from the Arts & Crafts stores . They have an assortment of colors . You need to have a smooth surface , as this stuff will fill every scratch . DAMHIKT :redface: :rolleyes:

Hey Dale,

Why DIDN"T you POST that handy-dandy tip at the time!!!

HOW TO FIND YOUR SCRATCHES, section!!!

I think it's a matter of personal preference. Color-fill typically leaves a below-flush surface. This accentuates the "engraved" look. If you like that, then fine. If you prefer a smooth surface, then a built-up finish (such as CA) yields a flush marking.

One advantage of the smooth surface is that it will not collect dirt over time.

Regards,
Eric

A finish may be needed to level out the wear patterns of the different materials. If keeping a uniform gloss is important, then the pen should be given an overcoat. Forget about it if the filler having a different gloss from the pen doesn't matter.

Back
Top Bottom