Is a Trend Air Pro really worth it?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rlharding

I just picked up a trend pro air. I was reading the instructions last night and felt somewhat confused. Is it anything more than a dust mask? I had always thought that it was a MUST have because it would protect me while working, but, it dawned on me while reading the manual that it actually doesn't offer any protection other than from dust.
Did my brain just not register this when I thought is was so necessary?

At the same time as buying the trend I also picked up a Bionic face shield because I thought the trend would be in my workshop and the bionic would be at home for when I was using the chain saw. After reading the trend instructions I am not sure that it is offering me anything more than the bionic. One cost $400 and the other $24 (both on sale.
Am I missing something?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Ed McDonnell

I just picked up a trend pro air. I was reading the instructions last night and felt somewhat confused. Is it anything more than a dust mask? I had always thought that it was a MUST have because it would protect me while working, but, it dawned on me while reading the manual that it actually doesn't offer any protection other than from dust.
Did my brain just not register this when I thought is was so necessary?

At the same time as buying the trend I also picked up a Bionic face shield because I thought the trend would be in my workshop and the bionic would be at home for when I was using the chain saw. After reading the trend instructions I am not sure that it is offering me anything more than the bionic. One cost $400 and the other $24 (both on sale.
Am I missing something?

I guess it depends on what kind of protection you are looking for. If you want something to protect your lungs from 98% of particles down to 0.3 micron, then the trend will do it. The Bionic airshield will do it as well, but only for as long as you can hold your breath.

If you want to be protected from your faces shield fogging up, the fan in the trend will do it. The bionic airshield won't fog up either as long as you don't exhale or sweat.

If you are the kind of turner who constantly has large objects flying off the lathe towards them, then neither product will offer you adequate protection. Getting hit in the face is bad and both products will offer some protection, but it's limited. Turners have been killed by getting hit in the neck, chest, arms and other places where critical organs / arteries are exposed by both products.

Is the trend really worth the price? I have one. I use it. I like it. I don't think it is worth the price, but the practical (for me) alternatives are even more expensive. Cheaper alternatives (a disposable dust mask and basic face shield) are not comfortable enough to wear when turning for 8+ hours a day.

For what it's worth.

Ed

greggas

Ruth;

I started using the trend unit about 18 months ago and am very happy that I did so. I used to use a respirator when turning something that was going to create a lot of dust and sometimes nothing if turning something really wet.

I started to think that , given the fact that I was turning more and more , I needed to look for a healthier solution. I bought the Trend and now use it all the time. It has worked fantastic ( I would recommend buying an extra battery if you turn a lot so that you don't have to stop in the middle of a piece and wait 14 hours for the recharge) I also use my compressor to blow out the filters after each use. Have been problem free and no longer have any issues such as headaches after turning for long periods

I think you made a wise choice

good luck

Sawdust1825

What sort of protection are you seeking? The Trend Airshield Pro will protect you from dust and offer face and eye protection. If you need some other protection what would that be? The Trend as was mentioned doesn't fog up even if you are sweating. I like mine. Hazardous fumes are not filtered out as far as I know.

flyitfast

I use the Trend and it is the best at what it is supposed to do. Protect your lungs with a limited face protection.
If I were a celebrity turner, I would highly endorse it, but I am just a turner and am glad I have one.
Turning in a un-airconditioned garage - oops studio, in Texas, it also does a fair job of keeping me cooler during the warm months. :mad:
All the reasons by above posts are very accurate.
It is not a cheap protection device, but it is a whole lot cheaper than losing your lungs!! :eek:
gordon

rlharding

Thanks guys. I appreciate your thoughts.
I should have been clear that I do wear the IBM 8210 masks under a face shield and am not trying to compare 'no mask & face shield' with the Trend.
I had assumed I would be getting some head protection as well as face protection from the trend casing. I have previously used a Record self contained unit but ended up with only the battery pack once I had finished my cross world moving back and forth.
Thanks for the tip about getting an additional battery. I didn't know it takes 14 hours to charge, that isn't mentioned in the manual. :)

Top Bottom