Votes: 25 69.4%
  • Chinese at $2.00 or so

Votes: 11 30.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I am thinking of bringing back slimline pen kits - there are a couple of choices low cost fancy slimline kits from China at around $2.00 per kit or higher cost kits by Dayacom from Taiwan at about $4.00 per kit. I'll probably offer about 4 finishes. The question is for people who make slimline kits.....which would you prefer.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

asyler

Local Chapter Leader
my wife prefers slimline size for gifts, so i wouldn't mind paying more if it's a better quality finish transmission, etc.

chartle

Yes i would like better finishes but for me my everyday carry is either a slimline or sierra.

As for finish order starting from preferred

Black
copper
silver satin
gold
chrome

But now that I think about it it really depends on the color of the blank.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hi Smitty - What's the actual difference between the two kits, other than cost?

Happy Turning - Tom
The more expensive kits have a stronger and better finished clip is the major visible difference. Depending on the finish the more expensive kits might have a little better plating. Most of the added cost is related to where they're made rather than how. Taiwan does not subsidize their industries as much as PROC.

RichSubers

I give away most and would be fine with the cheaper one. But if one had better quality transmission, that is the one i would buy. I make a lot of freedom Pens which are the PSI funline. Because their cost is low we have problems with the transmissions & the clip ring has to be filed out to put the cap on. 72 of the last 100 I needed to file. Hmmmm....get in touch with me I have Taiwan made transmissions that I'll sell for that project real reasonable. Can't help too much with the clips.

Last edited by a moderator:

thewishman

There are lots of places that offer a cheap slim. I would pay more for a better slim with a sturdy clip and a great transmission. If you stock the Dayacom slims, I'd happily buy them. Would it be possible to get a thicker center band as an add-on?

Your poll comes at a great time for me, just getting ready to launch a new line in a new market.

Last edited:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
There are lots of places that offer a cheap slim. I would pay more for a better slim with a sturdy clip and a great transmission. If you stock the Dayacom slims, I'd happily buy them. Would it be possible to get a thicker center band as an add-on?

Your poll comes at a great time for me, just getting ready to launch a new line in a new market.
Do you mean something like the center band of a comfort pen? If so probably it would be possible.

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
I looked at pricing for the Dayacom kits and they would be priced higher than the $4.00 I thought. More likely in the $5 -$7 range.

chrisk

Soft grip kits in Rhodium, Gold Titanium and Black Titanium.
Technically softgrips are not slimline kits hey usually also have the larger diameter center band of the comfort kits.

Leroy,
As far as I know, pen components with 7mm holes and according tubes are slimlines. The Dayacom slimlines and soft grips use the same tubes. The same goes for streamlines (or trimlines...). The only difference between, on the one hand, (Dayacom) slimlines and soft grips and, on the other hand, streamlines (I use Timberbits kits) is in the length of tubes: 51mm and 53mm respectively.

I looked at pricing for the Dayacom kits and they would be priced higher than the $4.00 I thought. More likely in the $5 -$7 range.

I presume you're talking about "slimline" kits from Dayacom?

Last edited by a moderator:

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
All 7mm kits are not slimlline. Comfort (soft grip), Trimline/streamline, Euro/designer. Concave and a number of others are 7mm tubes but use different bushings and turn to a different shape than slimlines.

Top Bottom