Into the Light

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

D.Oliver

Hi, I'm Derek. After lurking in the shadows, anonymously perusing the website for a couple of years I have finally decide step in the light, become a member and introduce myself. I'd also like to take this opportunity to thank you folks for being the great bunch that you are. I have long been a fan of the work I see on IAP. Some of it is simply jaw dropping (I'm thinking of anything Skiprat creates and the rifle pen that greeneyedblackcat made) and quite intimidating (who wants to post a simple slimline after seeing their work?) For the most part, though I find the work on here to be quite inspiring. I remember seeing a thread with re-engineered blanks that Les Elm created and thinking "Wow those are nice." I thought if I put a little practice into this I could someday maybe make something like that. Lately I have found myself inspired by the work of Timebandit (modified slims) Dozermite and Brooks803 (Both of your simulated opal blanks were awesome). So thanks everyone for sharing you work and giving a new turner something to shoot for. I also want to thank the likes of Don Ward and William Young. I found your tutorials and videos very helpful. I really need to wrap this thread up I'm starting to sound like a 12 year girl that just met Justin Beiber. Anyways, I might not end up being a great pen turner, but I will certainly be an avid fan of great pen turners. Keep up the good work.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

steeler fan1

Welcome Derek, this is indeed a great site. We all strive to make the best turning we can, but the enjoyment is in the journey as much as the destination.

Carl

MarkD

Welcome to the site Derek. As a relatively new member myself, I can relate to your comments. This is a great site, with a great bunch of people who will go out of their way to help you be successful.
Good luck in your journey!

RichB

Welcome from Michigan Derek. There is so much to learn on this sight I hope you have the time. I didn't, I am still learning. You can't ask for a better bunch of folks to talk to and learn from by asking questions. When I started I never figured I'd be talking to someone in another country. Have Fun RichB

paintspill

welcome derek. i'm pretty new here too. one thing i've learned is that few of these guys keep there craft a secret. if you see something you like. ask. there is so much to learn. like which ones are smart asses. thats the part i'm enjoying the most.

ctubbs

Welcome, Derek, from far west Kentucky, to the addiction, sometimes referred to as the vortex. You mention that you have read some of the site, be sure to give the library a good bit of time. The link is at the top of the page. You will find an article called Library Index. This covers tutorials on about anything pen making you can think of. You will also notice that there are articles listed by year. Much good info there as well. When these fail to answer your questions, by all means post it here. I have never seen one go unanswered very long. You might also want to give this thread a good look. It has some very good info for the beginning pen turner; http://content.penturners.org/articles/2009/Getting_started_in_penturning.pdf. Grab some wood, make some shavings and have fun all the while being safe.
Charles

Top Bottom