Intense crosscut Cocobolo on Vertex

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from yorkie

yorkie

Crosscut Cocobolo on black enamel Vertex clicker.

Finish is CA.

I have a large collection of crosscut Cocobolo and never get tired of how stunning it is. Turning it is a pain as it always likes to chip out. Worth it though.

Attachments

• IMG_3446.jpg
    IMG_3446.jpg
    484.1 KB · Views: 140
  • IMG_3448.jpg
    IMG_3448.jpg
    484.3 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_3449.jpg
    IMG_3449.jpg
    389.5 KB · Views: 148
  • IMG_3476.jpg
    IMG_3476.jpg
    381.1 KB · Views: 225
  • IMG_3478.jpg
    IMG_3478.jpg
    359.4 KB · Views: 182
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gary Beasley

Stunning results! I've made some crosscut Jobillo pens, had to try 5 times before I figured out I had to do a scraping cut with my skew with the end of the handle high to get the wood to stay put. Results were totally worth it.

LeeR

Nice plating choice for the wood. And a really nice job overall. Do you soak the wood with CA to keep it from chipping, or just take it easy when turning?

I've got a big piece of cocobolo I've been thinking of cutting on the diagonal, and maybe even crosscut it, for a similar look. I've had good luck using CA to stabilize some spalted pecan that was like balsa wood, and easily crumbled.

Last edited:

yorkie

Nice plating choice for the wood. And a really nice job overall. Do you soak the wood with CA to keep it from chipping, or just take it easy when turning?

I've got a big piece of cocobolo I've been thinking of cutting on the diagonal, and maybe even crosscut it, for a similar look. I've had good luck using CA to stabilize some spalted pecan that was like balsa wood, and easily crumbled.

I have found that lathe at full speed, slow and light shavings and razor sharp gouge is the only way to go with this much crosscut figure. Also, a tip, when hitting the edges, have your gouge resting on the bushing at an angle and then move it along the bushing and onto the barrel. Otherwise, the edges will chip out as you get down to the bushings. Trust me, I have blown up too many of them myself and it stings to lose such a nice piece of wood.

plantman

when doing a crosscut blank, I will soak it with thin CA before, during, and after drilling. Next I take the blank over to the disk or belt sander and knock down the corners. I will usualy turn end grain on my mini metal lathe, it gives me more controll and I can take off a few thousandths at a time. Every 2 or 3 passes I will recoat the blank with thin CA letting it soak deep into the wood. I find the end grain to be a very intresting blank and makes a fine looking pen. Great work on yours !! Jim S

OZturner

An Incredible Piece of Cocobolo.
Fantastic Fit and Finish,
I imagine it was like running a Marathon (not that I have run any marathons) but the Exhilaration, Exhaustion, and Relief at the finish must have been Stimulating.
Terrific Job, Steven.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Marko50

That is amazing stuff! I think I'll go out into my shop and try that. I have a hunk of cocobolo just collecting dust. …Not for long!

Top Bottom