instead of ca

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Cody Winters

I have used ca for a little bit but i am sick of it to frustrating. i will come back soon. but for now what should i do? Or i have heard of linseed oil and ca????

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Lucky2

Cody, not just linseed oil, it has to be boiled linseed oil. I personally don't have any experience with it, but I know of others that use it on just about every pen. I'm sure if you watch a few free videos on You Tube about it, you will get more than enough info and instructions on the subject. Good luck.
Len

Dan Masshardt

I used the blo method early on. Actually, I just started adopting it for finishing bottle stoppers and really like it for that purpose.

There are some good YouTube tutorials.

Basically you apply ca and then use blo as an accelerator by rubbing it into the ca.

The result is a smooth finish that requires very little sanding etc afterwards.

The things to consider us that the finish will not tend to build as quick and will tend toward satin more than gloss.

There are other options. There is a good tutorial on Dr. Wood shop here and wood turners finish is another option as well as friction finishes.

lyonsacc

Cody,

I started turning last August and became rather frustrated with my CA finishes. Took a little break from wood and turned some acrylic blanks that didn't need a ca finish to shine. Read about 50 threads about how to do the CA finish. Finally, almost 1 year later I am starting to be able to produce a consistent high quality ca finish.

Maybe you could find someone local to help.

Maybe take a break and turn something that doesn't need a ca finish so you can enjoy turning for a little bit.

Dave

Just remember that if you use boiled linseed oil that it is spontaneously combustible. It is best to put your rags in a bucket of water after you use them so you don't burn down the shop. I have also found that old CA doesn't seem to work as well for finishing.

Top Bottom