Inspired (prototype #2)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Mudder

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mudder

The first inspired pen looked okay but did not achieve what I was looking for so I cut up strips of Maple, Walnut & Padauk

2005710135627_002.jpg

Laminated them up.

200571013578_004.jpg

And cut them up a special way to make this one... Prototype #2

200571013588_008.jpg

I learned that things need to be square.
Also learned was that I used the wrong cutting technique and wasted a full blank (Took 2 blanks to make this pen)
I should have taken more time in sanding the laminations to that you do not see the vertical line but that will come with the next pen. Finally, I'll probably make the strips a lot thinner and add some more wood species for interest.

This pattern extends completely around the pen, there are four good sides to this one.

Criticisms & comments are welcome.

(edit) The lighting is a little better. K-mart had GE Reveal bulbs on sale...100 watt 4 pack for $1.97... Made a big difference I think.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Czarcastic

What an eye catcher! <b>THAT'S</b> the kind of pen that sells a bunch of others.

"Wow! Where did you get that pen!?!"

"I made it..."

Great job. dynamite lamination. Way to go!

JimGo

VERY nice job! The laminations look GREAT! I like the slight curve to everything too. I agree with Bev, I don't think I'd add more colors; I'd be afraid it would get too busy.

swm6500

Great looking pen Mudder, I say add some more colors and see what you come up with. Are you cutting the strips on a table saw. If so, what kind of blade do you use?

M

Mudder

Originally posted by swm6500
<br />Great looking pen Mudder, I say add some more colors and see what you come up with. Are you cutting the strips on a table saw. If so, what kind of blade do you use?

Cut on a bandsaw with a timberwolf blade and sanded with a thickness sander.

wayneis

Mudder that is a nice looking pen, I think that if you made the strips thinner you could get away with more colors whithout it being to busy.

What kind of thickness sander do you have? I've been hoping that they would come down in price but its not looking like it will happen. My shop doesn't lack for much as far as I am concerned but that is the one tool that I really want to buy some day.

Wayne

M

Mudder

Originally posted by wayneis
<br />What kind of thickness sander do you have?

I have a Performax 10-20. I got a good deal on it from my friendly neighborhood Woodcraft guy. someone ordered it and put a deposit on it then just disappeared. He waited 6 months and tried to contact the guy to no avail. I bought it for the remainder of the ticket price. I think it was aroung $350.00 or something.

Had I not got it cheap I probably would not have bought it.

I have seen plans on the net to make one.

Rifleman1776

Very impressive. Apologies for a couple unsuccessful attempts not necessary. I thought the verticle lines added a nice touch and were intended. For my tastes, thinner wood with more segments and colors might make it too-too busy. This is a very attractive pen.

M

Mudder

Originally posted by Rifleman
<br />I thought the verticle lines added a nice touch and were intended.

Good Idea, maybe some kind of blackwood would look nice. Filed away for future use, thank you.

Originally posted by jbyrd24
<br />Beautiful Pen..............How thick were your strips[:p]

Strips ended up around 3/32" (.095" approx.)

alamocdc

Eagle, you know that's not fair. [:D] When you use a TS w/a high dollar blade you don't need to sand your laminations. Very nice pen, Scott! [^] Keep up the good work. I think I agree with Bev though. More than three species might make it a little too busy. JMHO.

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by alamocdc
<br />Eagle, you know that's not fair. [:D] When you use a TS w/a high dollar blade you don't need to sand your laminations. Very nice pen, Scott! [^] Keep up the good work. I think I agree with Bev though. More than three species might make it a little too busy. JMHO.
Since when is a $10.00 (note decimal point) 7&1/4" blade high dollar?[:D]

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
[/quote]
[/quote]

Eagle,

Is that for one blade, or ten?[:D][:D][:D]

ctEaglesc

Passed Away Jul 4, 2008
In Memoriam
Originally posted by ed4copies
<br />
[/quote]

Eagle,

Is that for one blade, or ten?[:D][:D][:D]
[/quote]

Since when is <b>a </b>$10.00 (note decimal point) 7&1/4" blade high dollar[:D][:D][:D][:D]
And that's at a mom&pop lumber yard, I am sure you can find them less expensive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom