Insane fordite

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CjG78

G'day!
Received a nice piece of kenwirth fordite with lumps and bumps. Cast in black epoxy resin. I added ebonite sleeves to ensure I could get threads on it.
Ebonite finials and section. Ca finish.
Jowo #6 nib.
Such an awesome piece of material.

Attachments

• 20211016_120531.jpg
    20211016_120531.jpg
    211.1 KB · Views: 284
  • 20211016_120250.jpg
    20211016_120250.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 271
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TDahl

Beautiful pen Casey. I especially like the finish on the section and the finials. The threads look crisp as well. Nice job.

jrista

That is some truly great fordite! Its really hard to find the true "Detroit Agate" stuff that actually looks like agate these days... So much of it is either fake (manufactured) and just simple layers, or the less interesting stuff that is mostly flat layers with a few curls here and there. This kind of true agate-like material is darn rare.

Beautiful pen, for sure! I think you put that rarity to excellent use!

Penchant 4

As jrista said, your writing instrument looks great with the quite rare "Fordite". Decades ago, I worked in a store that carried Fordite. Then it was called Paint Rock. $0.25 to $0.50 a pound (not a misprint); and could not give it away.

Thanks for sharing the photos.

magpens

For lack of a better response . . . . F*A*N*T*A*S*T*I*C !!!!

Did it really originate at Kenworth ?

howsitwork

Casey

maybe about time to wash the CA off that forefinger though or to use a display stand? The hand does give a really good perspective on size though.

Everything is relative though - One of my friends has "fingers like cows **** " to quote the local Yorkshire expression so in his hands it would,look like a tooth pick! forgive the vulgarity folks 😊 how interesting the site filters out the phrase ! let's try boobies instead

CjG78

Casey

maybe about time to wash the CA off that forefinger though or to use a display stand? The hand does give a really good perspective on size though.

Everything is relative though - One of my friends has "fingers like cows **** " to quote the local Yorkshire expression so in his hands it would,look like a tooth pick! forgive the vulgarity folks 😊 how interesting the site filters out the phrase ! let's try boobies instead
I go for a 'beauty and the beast' approach 🤣

sorcerertd

That is absolutely gorgeous and certainly one if the nicest pieces of fordite I've seen!! It's not too often I hear it called Detroit Agate (mostly in the jewelry craft).

moke

That is probably the coolest pen you have made and you have made some awesome pens. I have never used nor would not know where to get fordite, I get it is layers and layers of paint.....but is it durable...paint certainly isn't all that hard by nature......

CjG78

That is probably the coolest pen you have made and you have made some awesome pens. I have never used nor would not know where to get fordite, I get it is layers and layers of paint.....but is it durable...paint certainly isn't all that hard by nature......
Thanks mate.
So think of each layer being baked on at 55° f, it is quite hard but extremely chippy, as the paint is the only form of bond. Heat while turning or drilling expands the layers and makes blowouts very common.
I prefer using fordite that is cast in resin, which holds it all together and makes for a much more stable turn. Still have to avoid heat. Light passes with the sharpest tool is needed also. Negative rake carbide is the best tool to use

duncsuss

Thanks mate.
So think of each layer being baked on at 55° f, it is quite hard but extremely chippy, as the paint is the only form of bond. Heat while turning or drilling expands the layers and makes blowouts very common.
I prefer using fordite that is cast in resin, which holds it all together and makes for a much more stable turn. Still have to avoid heat. Light passes with the sharpest tool is needed also. Negative rake carbide is the best tool to use
I have a few pieces of Kenworth, really must find somebody who will cast them for me. I like how the black resin makes the colours pop!

Top Bottom