Inlay work on pens

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
In my first 6 weeks here I have seen a number of gorgeous pens which feature inlays (for this purpose, I'm talking wood-on-wood). Can any of you more experienced turners give us a brief tutorial on how this is done. In the future, a full fledged article would be wonderful, but for now I just am looking for a quick tour of the process. Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jwoodwright

If you want a spiral effect you glue up alternating dark and light wood. Usually 1/2' x 12". The thinner the sections, the tighter the spiral. When completly dried (24 hrs), cut the glue-up at 30 degrees. Now you can cut sections off on the table saw. All sections will be 30 degree angled. When turned they will show a spiral.

For plain inlays, cut at 30 degrees, glue inlay and both ends together...[:)]

William Young

Lou;
Are you referring to inlays as in round dots etc. that show up occasionally here? It so happens that in between clock building this afternoon I am working on a pen with a diamond shaped inlay on both sides of both halves.
Dots are easy. Just drill holes through the blank and drive in slightly oversized dowels for a good tight fit and then drill the holes for the tubes.
Inlays of other than round drilled holes are a different story. If this one with the diamond shaped pattern turns out OK, I'll post a picture of it.
W.Y.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Thanks to both of you for your posts...something to try out, but I was more thinking along the lines of the guitar inlay that Adam posted a few weeks ago...and there have been others, but I can't remember who did them.

timdaleiden

There a number of ways to do inlays. Many are done before the blank ever gets drilled, some are done with a laser or fine cutter after the blank is rounded. What exactly are you trying to achieve?

timdaleiden

I am pretty sure he said he did that one with a scroll saw. My guess is he did it before he ever drilled. Working on a flat blank is easier than working on something rounded, at least with a scroll saw. I am certain it was quite tedious work. He mentioned he had worked on it for some time. I would suggest making a small template to be used on the blank, and also for the insert.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom