Inlay for Corian...???

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Timbo

I want to engrave an image into a partially turned corian blank, then fill it with a contrasting material, then complete the turning. What can I use to produce a white filling material, that will dry hard, take a polish, and not require any other protective coating? Any ideas? Thanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Gulfcoast

Tim --

I use two part epoxy (5 min type) mixed with a powdered pigment (color of your choice)
The brand that I use is "Pearl Ex" Pigments, which can be found at most hobby stores (or you can look them up on the net) --- no conection with these people, just use the product.

I have had very good results using this approach.

Joe

Timbo

I would add just a litle baking soda to the dust. Sometimes the dust by itself will seal on top with out allowing the CA to the botom of the inlay.

The baking soda will alow more penitration.

Other tips for wirking with Corian

http://sites.google.com/site/coriartinc/

I hope this helps
Ken

Thanks for the tip Ken. I saved the working with Corian info for future reference.

Timbo

I'll check out the pigments. Does the 5 minute epoxy buff out to a shine like the Corian? Thanks.

Tim --

I use two part epoxy (5 min type) mixed with a powdered pigment (color of your choice)
The brand that I use is "Pearl Ex" Pigments, which can be found at most hobby stores (or you can look them up on the net) --- no conection with these people, just use the product.

I have had very good results using this approach.

Joe

DurocShark

Epoxy has to be mixed carefully or it will be full of bubbles. You can fill the bubbles with CA if you get 'em anyway.

Willee

I use white furniture powder mixed with golf shafting epoxy.

I guess you could use casting resin also.
The longer drying stuff seems to get harder which translates to smooth cuts and a good polish.

Air bubbles are the big problem.
They form while mixing and make it very hard to get a solid fill in the cavity.
If I find any while turning (usually do) I fill them in with med CA and go on from there.

I once used an over night epoxy and had the big idea of injecting it into the cavity with a hypo syringe (thinking that would help with the bubbles) ... the epoxy hardened in the needle when put under pressure.
I assume the pressure is what caused it to harden very quickly and I haven't tried it since.

corian king

Tim
I do alot of inlays in corian.I use the standard corian adhesive.It comes in many different colors to match their products.it is a two part epoxy and when it dries it can be sanded and finished just like the corian.The drawback is it does require a special gun to dispense the adhesive.but it works really well for inlays.
hope this helps.
JIM

Top Bottom