Inlace Acrylester

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jkirkb94

Status
Not open for further replies.

jkirkb94

Just turned a pen in Inlace Acrylester tonight. One of the more difficult materials I have turned! Very easy to drill. Had to go to skews instead of gouges due to micro blowouts. Still had a major blowout with the skew.

2004103135853_inlace%20acrylester001.jpg

2004103135918_inlace%20acrylester002.jpg

Wet polished to 12000 with fantastic results. Such depth and sheen!! As usual the pictures don't show the real beauty. Even though it is difficult, I will try to get some more blanks.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wayneis

Kirk, You did a very nice job. I've turned a whole bunch of these and all of the other acrylics and PolyGems etc. The trick to these is the sharpness of your tools. They need to be so sharp that you can really shave with them and you need to manytimes stop and give them a touch up while you are turning. That is actually the main trick to turning anything, the sharper you have your tools, the better finish you will get and the less sanding you will have to do. And the less blow-outs you will have.

If you have the Grizzly catalog, check out the sharpining wheels made with card board. Ya it sounds weird but it really does work. Ever sense I started to use them I've been amazed at how much easier it is to turn. A big plus is that I seldom have to use my grinder, so my tools will last a lot longer now. There is a two wheel set one loaded with grit and the other is the polishing wheel that really does the job. The best thirty buck I've spent sense I started turning.

Wayne

jkirkb94

Thanks for the suggestion, Wayne. I'll look into the Grizzly sharpeners. I did find out that the key was really sharp tools. Just ordered some more blanks from Craft Supplies. Will look forward to them. Kirk [8D]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom