Inlace acrylester handle, best way to mount on lathe?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from RobS

RobS

Hi Guys.

What is the best way to mount on the lathe a Inlace acrylester pizza cutter handle?
Drill and use a pin chuck?
Drill and tap and use my wine stopper m2 mount?

Or is there something else?
Thank you

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Skie_M

Turn it round between centers ....

Grip it with your chuck using a tenon on one en .... drill for your pizza cutter tool end and shape everything except the very back of the handle ...

Reverse the handle on the lathe and using a pin jaws chuck, grip from the inside of the tool cutter hole to finish parting off the back of the tool handle and finish that too.

(never made one, but this is the series of steps I would try)

MTViper

I've made a few of these. I drill them first and tap them for the bolt that will attach them to the pizza cutter. I made a mandrel from a bolt with the head cut off that's the same thread pattern as the pizza cutter and use a nut and washer to tighten it to the mandrel. I turn with the tail stock up to the other end to support the spindle until I'm ready to finish the very tip end. This would be especially important with acrylic blanks to keep from braking the threads inside. Light cuts and sharp tools like anything else.

Steve

Turn it round between centers ....

Grip it with your chuck using a tenon on one en .... drill for your pizza cutter tool end and shape everything except the very back of the handle ...

Reverse the handle on the lathe and using a pin jaws chuck, grip from the inside of the tool cutter hole to finish parting off the back of the tool handle and finish that too.

(never made one, but this is the series of steps I would try)

This is how I made my handle except I chucked it to cut the tenon, I don't turn acrylic between centers.

RobS

Thanks for the replies.

I ordered a Robert Sorby hard wood scraper to try on it. Going to wait till it arrives.

Cheers

Top Bottom