Inexpensive Fountain Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

I have always wanted a fountain pen and want to try making one for myself.

I am hesitant to buy a kit based on price alone, but I don't want to spend a huge amount on one.

Is there a "value" priced FP kit that is decent quality? I don't want my perceptions colored by a junky kit. If not, I will just hold off until I can bring myself to spend big(ger) money on one.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

JMT

I've been using one of the El Grande FP's myself for a few weeks. It's a good looking and feeling pen. Writes nice. Did some minor nib work, but nothing over the top.

Fibonacci

Definately the price range I was looking for.

Being pretty new to this whole thing, this is probably a stupid question, but are these of fairly good quality?

edit: this comment was referencing the Berea discount reply

Last edited:

chrisk

@Fibonacci
I don't know. While I wanted to give this kit a try I've just purchased some due to the discount.

@Lee K
Yes, the B mandrel for the El Grande kits.

MorganGrafixx

I currently have a platinum Jr. Gent 2 FP from Craft Supplies. Kit cost just about $20, acrylic was another $4. Time to turn, finish and assemble it was about 90 minutes.

Dave Turner

Definately the price range I was looking for.
.... but are these of fairly good quality?

I just made an El Grande fountain pen. I'd say it's of adequate quality. The resin (plastic) parts and metal center band do not seem to be as heavy duty as the Churchill I made at the same time. It's definitely lighter in weight (1.1 oz vs 1.6 oz). Also, I don't like the styling as well as most other capped pens. bit that's quite subjective. I recently made a Navigator (Woodcraft's name for the Baron) and was impressed with the quality. It's up there with the Jr Gent II.

If you are just making one pen for yourself as opposed to buying multiple kits for production sales, why not spend a few extra dollars and get whatever you like? Also, allow for buying ink and you may want to play around with the Heritage Semi-flex nibs. I'm just getting started with fountain pens and am looking forward to the experimentation. The fun never stops!

Dave

alphageek

Former Moderator
My 2 cents... If you're looking for good quality at a decent price - the Jr Gent II is your best bet. It gets you set up well, and if you have an AMAZING blank, you can chose to move up to a Jr Statesman, Jr Emp, or a Triton and make a significantly nicer pen.

Top Bottom