INDEXING JIG

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

CHICAGOHAND

Alright boys what I need help with is how can I set up a drill on the lathe to corispond with the indexing wheel? I have on my lathe.
I am looking at a clock in a magazine i picked up at the book store called practical woodworking from the UK.
It is basically a round clock from maple turned on the lathe with dark wood dowels glued in holes at 12 holes around the disk.
please show me how I can do this these guys brought the maple diek to the drill press for the holes and I know there is a better way.
I know i am missing some parts to lock the lathe in certain spots using the indexing if anyone knows what i am missing please let me know also maybe i need some duct tape to hold the drill better?:):):)just kiddin.
HELP

20081619729_100_0669.jpg

20081619742_100_0670.jpg

2008161986_100_0671.jpg

20081619819_100_0672.jpg

20081619829_100_0673.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

CHICAGOHAND

Alright I gave you guys 10 minutes to give me some help and I got none so I headed to the shop with the phrase necessity is the mother of invention and proceeded to completly confuse myself.

2008170135_100_0674.jpg
<br />

2008170146_100_0675.jpg
<br />

2008170156_100_0676.jpg
<br />

200817025_100_0677.jpg
<br />

2008170215_100_0678.jpg
<br />

Once I figure my math out I might just have a clock that will get me to work on time.

Oh I almost forgot, one mention Lee about the lack of paint on your banjo I swear I will paint it hot pink.[:)][:)][:)][:)]

stevers

You'll find 10 minutes is not adequate time to get many responses. You'll have to learn to be patient with us old timers around here. I try to give over night before I start feeling ignored.[:D]

Firefyter-emt

LOL.. I was gonna post something and read the last line!!

Can't help you out much with the project, but give me some time and I can copy the indexing pin from mine and make you one. You are lucky, both indent balls are still there, I am missing the top one. If you don't hear from me, drop me an e-mail to remind me to make one. I seem to have a few pen mill sanders to finish first! [;)]

CrazyBear

Having a look you almost had it there.. Taka a piece of metal or scrap wood. Drill your centre hole. Take a horizontal line out to the distance that you want to drill. Drill your guide hole there.Next take a 30 deg line from your centre pivot point above your horizontal line and drill a hole centred the same distance out as your horizontal hole. Drill a hole through that is the same size as your dowel. Then dril your first hole and insert your dowel. Move the dowel up and place your top hole over it. Drill second hole and insert dowel. Move this dowel up and place your top guide hole over it. drill next hole etc.....I Hope I have explained this correctly. This takes out the need for your index ring

CHICAGOHAND

I guess my question was what would come with a lathe to mount a drill for drilling holes off center like these.
I just finished these and I swear for the life of me I couldnt figure out how to index 12 equally spaced holes with an index wheel with 60 equally spaced holes to save my life even after looking at the clock in the shop every "5" minutes.I guess they just dont teach this kind of stuff anymore or I was in the washroom that day.
the second one came out better but my true love will always be the first.If you look in my previous post you will see I just used a piece of flat aluminum mounted to the tail stock with holes drilled out from that.
The walnut clock that you see I just drilled an 1/8" hole and used my spring loaded center punch to mark the holes then went to the drill press.That gave me tighter holes for the plugs.

20081712055_100_0680.jpg
<br />

2008171216_100_0681.jpg
<br />

20081712116_100_0682.jpg
<br />

skiprat

Passed Away Mar 22, 2022
In Memoriam
Dave, it looks to me that you have already solved your problem.

But to actually drill on the lathe, I can think of two methods.

1. Using the same set up you used to mark the clock face, just hold the drill and drill through the chosen hole in the aluminium plate you used. ( Instead of just marking it)

2. Does the table with the mitre, swivel to slide parallel with the lathe? If it does then you could make a bracket to fix to the mitre that will clamp the drill to it. The removable handle on the drill could make a good anchor point. Of course you would have to remove the tailstock.

Either way, I would make the index pin to locate and lock in the index ring far more rigidly than appears from the pic. You also seemed to have figured that with 60 holes, you just use every fifth one. How many holes are in the outer ring? I would guess its not a multiple of 60?

I do like that lathe though. They sure don't make them like that anymore. [:D]

Phil Joines

Get a piece of round stock that fits the banjo hole. Drill a hole to fit the drill bit. Position the banjo / bit guide for the first hole then rotate the work in 5 detent steps for 12 holes. The bit guide can have as many size holes as you want.

CHICAGOHAND

The index ring has two circles of holes the outer circle has 8 holes and the inner has 60.
I spent more time dividing 360 by 12 and scratching my head trying to figure out how to make a clock It is not even funny, until the wife said 5 minutes until supper and then it hit me like a ton of bricks.

"Does the table with the mitre, swivel to slide parallel with the lathe? If it does then you could make a bracket to fix to the mitre that will clamp the drill to it. The removable handle on the drill could make a good anchor point. Of course you would have to remove the tailstock."
The sanding table is something I am looking at utilizing I have been using it more often lately to smooth the corners of my cutting boards and other sanding jobs rather than drag out my old craftsman disc and belt sander.The sanding table is kind of a touchy subject for me because a very generous person from this site gave me a part for this lathe and is asking me if I would like to sell it.
If I ever decide to get rid of it he would be at the front of the line.
Again thanks for all the help, guy's.

Firefyter-emt

LOL... Dave, you misunderstood me! That e-bay link had that sweet sanding table selling well over $200 alone! I have one about half made for my lathe though. My lathe has been lifted from 11" to 14" so anything I add like this needs to be custom made or modified. I have a C-Man disk / belt but would rather work at the lathe with the speed adjustments.

CHICAGOHAND

Well I just tried out my step sons 7.2 mega pixels camera on my finished clock.
The next time I make a clock I will make the large holes for the 3 6 9 and 12 and the small holes for all the other hours.
You know as a young kid I had alot of fun but I am not so sure it was very good for my brain cells.
I am going out to the shop now to try this clock again.
I used to work with these two guys and as the new guy I would tell them alot that i appreciated them teaching me,"what not to do".
I hope someone here is learning from me. I think I am gonna start charging for the knowledge that is gained from the mistakes I make here.

20081815327_S7300014.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom