In the process of ..........

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

Completing another 100 Rifle Cartridge Bullet Pens of various calibers.
Drilled, polished, applied 4 coats of lacquer, intalled transmissons and refils.
Turning and polishing Antler and Camo Acrylic and finials and clips installation next.
As always comments and or suggestions appreciated.
Thanks for looking.

Les

dsc00024u.jpg

dsc00028v.jpg

dsc00031z.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

juteck

Now that's an assembly line!! Wow.

What lacquer are you using, and how are you applying it? Do you have a track record on it yet, either from your own use, or a customer's use, on how well it holds the test of time on brass and copper?

rd_ab_penman

Now that's an assembly line!! Wow.

What lacquer are you using, and how are you applying it? Do you have a track record on it yet, either from your own use, or a customer's use, on how well it holds the test of time on brass and copper?

John,

I apply 4 coats of Sherwin - Williams Opex Clear Acrylic Metal Lacquer thinned with Lacquer Thinner to a 40% Lacquer and 60% Lacquer Thinner mixture. I use the dipping method to accomplish this, first by plugging the nib hole with Bee's Wax, installing a piece of tight fitting dowel into the 7mm primer hole and dip into a container of the thinned lacquer and hang vertically to dry.

I have been using one daily for 2 years now and finish is still as good as the day I applied it.

Les

Penl8the

Hi Les,

You are so organized. Everything is its right place.

If you ever sell tickets to tour your shop, I will the first to get line. Hint, hint.

Looking forward to see these pens "completed" all in one picture.

Thank you for sharing.

JohnU

How do you get any work done in that clean shop! lol Great looking set up. I can only hope that some day I am half as organized as you.

juteck

John,

I apply 4 coats of Sherwin - Williams Opex Clear Acrylic Metal Lacquer thinned with Lacquer Thinner to a 40% Lacquer and 60% Lacquer Thinner mixture.

Thanks for the info Les. Do you have a US source for the lacquer in smaller than 5-gal containers?

Karin Voorhis

Super nice shop. Ok now time is limited so the question is rip the shop all apart and get it nice and neat or just keep working making more mess

JDPens

Wow! That is an impressive looking setup! Very nice and well organized!

I must ask though, how is it that you have it so clean?
Do you clean up very carefully every time, or did you just finish spring cleaning before you took the pics?
What is the size of your shop, it looks like it's not much larger than a good-sized bedroom?
Your blank/lumber storage looks good as well, is the plastic to keep the dust out?

lorbay

Les are you using copper pen kits or gold and real bullets??? if the later what are you using for bullets and what is your process for drilling the hole for the refil???? Nice works BTW

Lin.

markgum

WOW. nice bunch of pens, and such a spotless shop. I have found by having a 'tiny' space in my new home, I am much more diligent about cleaning up...

rd_ab_penman

Les are you using copper pen kits or gold and real bullets??? if the later what are you using for bullets and what is your process for drilling the hole for the refil???? Nice works BTW

Lin.

I use 10K 7mm Euro and Slimline kits for the Finials, Transmissions and Tubes.
I drill out bullets for the nibs.
Attached is my procedure.

Les

Attachments

• Making a Bullet Nib.pdf
    696.1 KB · Views: 209

bobleibo

I've seen hospitals that aren't that clean!
Nice Set Up!!! It reflects your work as well...

Top Bottom