Imperial Pair

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from 76winger

76winger

My first two pens to be presented to the public for 2012 - A pair of Imperial rollerball pens.
Front: Chechen Burl (Freebie Yippie!!! blank) trimmed with Rhodium and 22k gold.
Rear: Buckeye Burl trimmed with Rhodium and Black Titanium Nitride.

All materials came from Exotic Blanks and I'm really impressed with the freebie Chechen Burl in front. I had never worked with the wood before and not only found it very easy to turn, but the burl has some very nice features, along with a beautiful deep, rich brown color. I'll definitely have to get some of it for future use.

These are also some of the first non-PSI premium kits I've made and they're pretty nice. The only real problem I have with them is the spring in the end is bigger than the rollerball cartridge, causing it to grab and not easily fall out for replacement. Maybe there's a workaround for this someone can point out to me. Otherwise they're just as nice as the Majestic Jr. pens and I actually found the section a little more comfortable to hold onto.

Click to see the full size picture & let me know what you think!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

76winger

WOW :eek:
i really like the chechun burl on the gold, finish looks great,
how/what did you for finish?
Harry

They both have a nice glossy CA finish on them, although I managed get the lighting just right where I was able to get the appearance of the to show through without the glare from the finish.

Now, if I can just remember how I did that... :confused:

76winger

Thanks for good comments. I wasn't sure I was going to like them at first, but with the finished product, I really do. Now If I can only find a decent solution for the spring issue I mentioned.

I also would like to find some FP versions of this pen, but it seems they're not available unless a supplier is willing to take on a minimum order from Daycom to get some made.

Last edited:
Top Bottom