I'm almost ashamed to post this

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

alamocdc

after seeing John and Dave's beautiful turnings, but what the hay. I keep both lathes loaded with something most of the time so I have something to do while waiting. Picked up a nice chunk of figured 1.75" Walnut with a nasty knot almost dead center. Yep, I've been diggin' in the trash bins again. Anyway, I cut it into 4 equal pieces to turn some candy dishes. This one is 1.5" x 3.75". I tried a different technique to see if it would speed things up and left the sides too thick for my liking, but it'll do as intended. You can just see some of the curl in the upper rim in the top of the photo. Finished it with my homebrew lacquer FP.

200692734854_walnut_dish.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gerryr

Why be ashamed? I think it looks fine. If you're really ashamed of it, I can send you my address and you can get it out of your sight.[:D]

jeffm19

You could fill that hole with clear 5 min 2 part epoxy mixed with some walnut saw dust. I've seen several folks do this when they have a blow out and it looks pretty good when all is said and done. Tip the bowl put tape on the down side of the hole and fill with clear epoxy / sawdust mix. When dry remove the tape, sand flush and finish as you normally would.

That's an awesome piece of walnut you turned, one man's trash is another man's treasure. All to often what has great grain pattern also has a defect ot two and is tossed in the burn pile. But with a little creativity defects can be repaired and be made into something awesome like your bowl... Great work, very nice bowl !!!

alamocdc

Thanks, guys! Jeff, I've used epoxy and saw dust (usually a contrasting color) or other material to fill voids many times. This piece just told me that it wanted to be used for 4 items so I obliged.[;)] I call upon my Native American heritage a great deal when working with wood (and even antler). It has not yet failed me. And the best news is that the dish is already spoken for.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom