I'm a little slow to the intro...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Let's see, last visited back in March of 2012. Seems that was a few months after I started turning pens for the first time. Looks like I never posted here despite being registered since 2012. Probably had a lot to do with job change, having a kid, etc.

In any case a little over a year ago I traded my way back into another lathe and a boat load of pen parts. Figured it would be a waste to have parts sitting around so sometime in the past year after we moved a few miles down the road to Waxhaw, NC I decided I'd better make some sawdust and maybe a pen or two. Lost count but I think that turned into about 150 pens or so, with quite a few more in the works.

I've got a nasty habit of getting too involved in my hobbies and I've already started the ground work for casting my own blanks and will likely be stabilizing wood here in the near future. Really like to be able to control what I'm working with and while there are some guys in Russia cranking out beautiful stabilized wood on ebay, that stuff gets expensive! (Shhh don't tell me about how I'm going to spend more money on supplies than if I were to just buy the wood, I secretly know that but need to convince She Who Must Be Obeyed otherwise!)

While I've searched the site a few times for information I figured I should probably say hello and will likely be posting a bit more as I get a little more hands on with pen making than I've been in the past.

And since threads are worthless without photos... Here's a few pens to look at that look mostly like what everyone else out there turns with maybe just slightly better wood selection than average I hope. (Ok ok, there's an acrylester blank hiding in there...) :bananen_smilies026:

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1500834612968.jpg
    FB_IMG_1500834612968.jpg
    438.5 KB · Views: 163
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenPal

Those pens are better and best, thanks for showing your obvious talent by way of explanation and talent. As a father of five children ,then a gap of eight years followed by a request from my sweetheart for another welcome baby I know full well the demands on time and hobbies. I worked three jobs for many yrs together to pay for my hobbies and to stay afloat. Our eldest is 61 now and I reflect that penturning is and has been the most fulfilling passion since the 80,s. Throw in over fifty grand and great grandchildren time goes by happily.

Enjoy your renaissance, welcome in mate.

PS Totally outstanding pens.

Kind regards Peter.

Dehn0045

Very nice looking pens! Be careful tho, posting on IAP can become an addicting hobby in itself

OZturner

Welcome Tim, from Sydney Australia.
Beautiful Pens, Glorious Blanks,
Expertly Turned, and Finished.
Congratulations, and I look forward to seeing more of your Pens, in the "Show Off Your Pen" Forum n the near Future.
Brian.

Thanks everyone! Looking forward to being actually engaged in the community after lurking around and mostly Google searching concepts I wanted to try. I used to build drums (in case the name wasn't a giveaway) so the finishing aspect of making things is kind of my wheelhouse. Well that and I've spent a lot of time playing with the camera to try and get decent photos. 99% of us turn the same kits so only so many ways to stand out :)

Top Bottom