Ikebana

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from elkhorn

elkhorn

This is an Ikebana vase i just made from ambrosia maple. Ikebana is a disciplined art form (Japanese) in floral arrangement.

I made this one from a piece of ambrosia maple. I recently saw some bowls that were patainaed and decided to give it a try. I purchased some Verday paints from the Ten Second Studio (tensecondstudio.com) and gave it a try. After letting it dry for a day I sprayed with a matte finish acrylic. The matte finish does darken the colors, and I'm sorry I didn't take a photo before I sprayed it. The unsprayed version looks more antique.

I've shown the bottom so you can see what the ambrosia maple looked like. The photo on the mirror allows you to see the side profile.

The last picture is my attempt at Ikebana arranging:)

C & C welcome.

Attachments

• Ikebana top.jpg
    Ikebana top.jpg
    206.7 KB · Views: 204
  • Ikebana bottom.jpg
    Ikebana bottom.jpg
    195.1 KB · Views: 204
  • Ikebana reflection.jpg
    Ikebana reflection.jpg
    202.5 KB · Views: 218
  • Ikebana arrangement.jpg
    Ikebana arrangement.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 229
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Super job on the Ikebana pot John!
Your design, turning and the patina finish all comes together here!
The arrangement shows it off nicely as well!
Very well done!

My only suggestion would be to cover all the edges and do the underneath with the patina as well. It is a sweet looking piece of ambrosia though!

elkhorn

Charlie, thank you for the kind words. It was fun to make and I held my breath as I applied the patina. The sides do have some patina, but not enough. I left the bottom natural so that people know its wood. I've done some textured and burned bowls that I left the inside natural. But who knows - I may end up doing the bottom as well. I'm going to patina a plate and oriental jewelry box I made and I'll do both sides with the patina.

Len, thank you!

Jim, I appreciate it!

elkhorn

Steve & Lou: thank you both for the kind words. Very much appreciated.

I'm finishing up the oriental jewelry box today with the patina and I'll try to post it tomorrow. I've taken photos as it progresses. Hopefully it'll be helpful to others that want to try it.

OZturner

Magnificent Work, John.
Excellent Concept and Execution.
Superb Proportions, and Fantastic Finish.
I like that you allow people to recognise that it is made of wood, though the colours reflect Oxidised Copper.
Congratulations,
Brian.

Top Bottom