Ignoring Users

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

sbell111

I've reading these post and I'm still at a loss as to why you would want to ignore someone. If you dont like what they post or think they were out of line why not send them a pm. I may not always like what someone post on my projects and let it go at that. I've been on IAP for close to a year how and I have to say that this forum is hands down the very best on the web and there is no one I would ignore. IMHO the members here are like family and I've never felt closer to a group of people most of whom I have never met and may never meet.
If there is someone here that you feel you need to ignore what not contact them and let them know. I'm sure they have known idea that your ignoring them and if they do they probably don't know why.
Your suggestion would work well when dealing with people who don't realize that they are posting things that offend. However, it isn't likely to matter when dealing with people who know that they are rude because they have been told over and over again. Therefore, it wouldn't have helped the OP with his issue or ladycop with hers.

BJohn

My Point

I've reading these post and I'm still at a loss as to why you would want to ignore someone. If you dont like what they post or think they were out of line why not send them a pm. I may not always like what someone post on my projects and let it go at that. I've been on IAP for close to a year how and I have to say that this forum is hands down the very best on the web and there is no one I would ignore. IMHO the members here are like family and I've never felt closer to a group of people most of whom I have never met and may never meet.
If there is someone here that you feel you need to ignore what not contact them and let them know. I'm sure they have known idea that your ignoring them and if they do they probably don't know why.

First Dan, How is the foot doing, hope you are being a good patient for your bride..

Second Dan none of this applies to you, in my 5 months on the forum I have never seen you write anything out of line. This is just another attempt to explain some of what is occuring.

Now I totally agree with you, this forum is extremely friendly 99.9% of the members go out of there way to answer questions and to offer help. I have been on receiving end of a lot.

Saying that there are a few (an extreme minority) That for what ever the reason, instead of treating some one with a little respect they feel they have use snide remarks or a poor attempt at a joke and on occasion be down right vulgar. One thing in life and from working in sales for the last 15 years, jokes are all fine and good but you need to know the person you are telling the joke to before hand, it may not be funny, but in some cases can offensive to them.

If we want to keep this forum friendly and the young & fresh idea's being shared on here then we need to stop. Like the young lady said in the thread I mentioned earlier. Not an exact quote but if you can't contribute some thing constructive then just keep it to your self.

robutacion

Steve, If he doesn't I wil see him tomorrow night at our turners group meeting.
So I am not worried.

I also don't want to go here you, but you have dragged me to the dark side before you and I have had words about this before. While you may think your comments here are funny. To this new user they may not be.

And George I am surprised at the last line of your reply. I have always found you to be helpful and generous with helping people. Your reply here had some good advise but the last line was not needed.

The two of you have been on here for a long time well over three thousnad posts and as far I know are well respected.

Like I mentioned In this case I personally know this young man, we are members of the same turners group & last month attended the SWAT symposiium together. I believe him a friend. I also bragged to him about this forum and along with the wealth of information and help that can be obtained here I also mentioned how friendly the members are.

Hi John,

I'm sorry, if you felt that some of my words weren't necessary and therefore, disappointed you however, keep in mind that, my true intent was to bring some attention to James that, in my opinion, his post wasn't a good idea and most certainly a trigger for troubles with some people, I'm certain that he may have not realised that therefore, I use words that were carefully chosen to make sure he understood, the reasons of my comment.

When one has been in these type of forums as long as I have (not only here), you learn what "triggers" are and what can happen when issues go too far so, my intentions were to help James to prevent it and make sure he understands why.

I call it, trying to help and prevent doing the same mistake again, like I said, putting people on ignore, is not a solution and because I have strong views on the issue, I'm disappointed that new members I find it something to almost be proud of.

If James have someone annoying him, he could make sure that the person doing so, knows what he thinks of it but done privately (PM), coming public with it, is always a good chance that not everyone shares his opinion of his solution and therefore, expose himself to comments that he may not like, but had to be said, anyway.

This is off-course my opinion, that changes nothing to the other things I do on IAP, I am that person that you mentioned you though I am, I'm honest to my actions, and the reason I say or do things, I am one person and no one can get only one part of me but, the whole person/me...!

I like to be able to give advice to young lads or people that are new to these things, I do so with no ulterior motives but with some expectation, expectation that they can find their way through the "jungle", and do so safely.

Sure, I may have my own way to do it/things however, that doesn't make it less honest, or less useful, past and present experiences makes me believe that, I have produce positive results that, some members would have no hesitation to validate/confirm, that's good enough for me...!

Cheers
George

BJohn

I am going to send you a PM

Steve, If he doesn't I wil see him tomorrow night at our turners group meeting.
So I am not worried.

I also don't want to go here you, but you have dragged me to the dark side before you and I have had words about this before. While you may think your comments here are funny. To this new user they may not be.

And George I am surprised at the last line of your reply. I have always found you to be helpful and generous with helping people. Your reply here had some good advise but the last line was not needed.

The two of you have been on here for a long time well over three thousnad posts and as far I know are well respected.

Like I mentioned In this case I personally know this young man, we are members of the same turners group & last month attended the SWAT symposiium together. I believe him a friend. I also bragged to him about this forum and along with the wealth of information and help that can be obtained here I also mentioned how friendly the members are.

Hi John,

I'm sorry, if you felt that some of my words weren't necessary and therefore, disappointed you however, keep in mind that, my true intent was to bring some attention to James that, in my opinion, his post wasn't a good idea and most certainly a trigger for troubles with some people, I'm certain that he may have not realised that therefore, I use words that were carefully chosen to make sure he understood, the reasons of my comment.

When one has been in these type of forums as long as I have (not only here), you learn what "triggers" are and what can happen when issues go too far so, my intentions were to help James to prevent it and make sure he understands why.

I call it, trying to help and prevent doing the same mistake again, like I said, putting people on ignore, is not a solution and because I have strong views on the issue, I'm disappointed that new members I find it something to almost be proud of.

If James have someone annoying him, he could make sure that the person doing so, knows what he thinks of it but done privately (PM), coming public with it, is always a good chance that not everyone shares his opinion of his solution and therefore, expose himself to comments that he may not like, but had to be said, anyway.

This is off-course my opinion, that changes nothing to the other things I do on IAP, I am that person that you mentioned you though I am, I'm honest to my actions, and the reason I say or do things, I am one person and no one can get only one part of me but, the whole person/me...!

I like to be able to give advice to young lads or people that are new to these things, I do so with no ulterior motives but with some expectation, expectation that they can find their way through the "jungle", and do so safely.

Sure, I may have my own way to do it/things however, that doesn't make it less honest, or less useful, past and present experiences makes me believe that, I have produce positive results that, some members would have no hesitation to validate/confirm, that's good enough for me...!

Cheers
George

I am fixing to send you a P.M.

jeff

Administrator
Staff member
If we want to keep this forum friendly and the young & fresh idea's being shared on here then we need to stop. Like the young lady said in the thread I mentioned earlier. Not an exact quote but if you can't contribute some thing constructive then just keep it to your self.

I wrote this post two years ago and it's stuck at the top of this forum. Simple rules for good behavior.

sbwertz

I've reading these post and I'm still at a loss as to why you would want to ignore someone. If you dont like what they post or think they were out of line why not send them a pm.

Oh, that can backfire. Back when I was first on the board, someone got very rude with me, on a fairly innocuous subject. I sent him a PM asking why he was so upset. The result was a vile, abusive string of pm's that just about curled my hair!

I deleted the PM's and just didn't read any more of his posts. He is the ONLY person who has ever been downright rude to me on this forum. (He doesn't seem to be on the board anymore.)

wwneko

I don't respond to them via pm because that is the rise they seem to be seeking. I see some just ignore the posta but others directly engage with them in the forum. Confrontation does no good and and the poster continues. I love IAP. I enjoy coming here and learning, in the past two months reading here I feel like my pen making knowledge has improved by leaps and bounds. But, when one poster constantly makes me angry when reading his posts over and over it makes me not want to return. It should be noted that no poster has ever been directly a jerk towards me, it's reading other folks threads and seeing how they treat those posters. For me, treating others without dignity and respect is unacceptable, but that in no way means you can't disagree and critique others opinions. I'm very much pro "lively debate".

Smitty37

Passed Away Mar 29, 2018
In Memoriam
Hmmmmm.

Get over it...Don't take other posters remarks to someone else to heart. First, you don't have to read them if you don't want to and if they irk you, why would you want to. Second, you don't know the relationship between the posters...some people here can be pretty blunt and frank with others even though they get along just fine.
I don't respond to them via pm because that is the rise they seem to be seeking. I see some just ignore the posta but others directly engage with them in the forum. Confrontation does no good and and the poster continues. I love IAP. I enjoy coming here and learning, in the past two months reading here I feel like my pen making knowledge has improved by leaps and bounds. But, when one poster constantly makes me angry when reading his posts over and over it makes me not want to return. It should be noted that no poster has ever been directly a jerk towards me, it's reading other folks threads and seeing how they treat those posters. For me, treating others without dignity and respect is unacceptable, but that in no way means you can't disagree and critique others opinions. I'm very much pro "lively debate".

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom