If you re-build it . . .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from DCBluesman

Status
Not open for further replies.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
I've had this design working in my head for weeks and weeks as a tribute to the victims of 9/11/01 and America's resolve to move forward. There were less colors and more meaningful measurements (which accounts for the different widths of the chiclets). Then came 8/29/05 and Katrina tried her darnedest to wipe New Orleans off the face of the earth. Well, the blank took on a new meaning for me as I added colors to the (re-named) building blocks. It's now more than a tribute. It's a celebration. Think of Mardi Gras in New Orleans and New Year's Eve in Times Square.

2005913213635_NineOneOneEightTwentyNine.jpg

Fear not, New York. Fear not, New Orleans. We will help you re-build it and we will come back!

Thanks to those who look and please feel free to comment.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wdcav1952

Activities Manager Emeritus
Lou,

If I may be so presumptious to suggest a name for another's pen, may I call this pen The Phoenix? From the bottom of my Louisiana heart, thank you for presenting this pen, and sharing with me some of the thought process that went into the design and fabrication.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
First let me thank you for looking and the very kind comments. This pen was a huge departure for me and one I doubt I will make very often as glue-ups (and most other forms of woodworking) are beyond the scope of my limited talent. I'll take a shot at the questions, as best I can answer them.

Eagle--as you've shown so often, there are no scraps! [:D]
Serge--the blue and green woods (remember, I'm color blind) are dyed and stabilized curly poplar from www.arizonasilhouette.com .
Alan--when I made up the blanks (each half was constructed separately) there were 150 pieces. I may have lost a couple in barrel trimming and a couple are hidden on the tenon under the centerband.
William--"The Phoenix" it is. I can't think of a better name. A great suggestion!

Thanks, also, to those of you who stopped by just to look. I appreciate it.

atvrules1

Very nice Lou. What a thought you had with that. Almost a little piece of wood to represent all the wide variety of people affected by each of those disasters. Thanks for sharing.

BigRob777

Lou,
You keep saying you are not a woodworker. Well I am sorry, but I find that a little difficult to agree with. I think you have shown otherwise (one woodworker to another). Awesome work. I love the black glue.

It looks like a United Nations pen, if I ever saw one. After all, our Amazing country is the great melting pot, made up of folks from every nation on earth (I think). Rock-on Sensae.

I'm still muddling my way through some huge orders, what an awesome week.[:D]--Still mostly pain free.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom