If you had $2000 to spend

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

arjudy

If you had $2000 to spend on pen turning supplies and accessorries where would you put the money? A new lathe? Kits? Marketing? What accessories would you purchase? Just wondering.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
Welcome, Alan! I've got the lathe, drill press, bandsaw and turning tools. I've also only got about a 5' X 8' workspace, so additional power tools are out. For the most part, I've got sufficient blanks (I can't seem to resist beautiful wood or resins), so I'd have to start with a bunch of kits. I'd probably also upgrade my camera. It's hard to share your work when your photography setup is as minimal as mine.

Rifleman1776

I would probably go for a new lathe and really good chucks. My 14x40 Grizzly is OK for the price but I didn't take long to realize something more sophisticated would also produce better work faster. And I need a good digi cam too.

WoodChucker

I guess I'd buy more kits and blanks. And I'd also get a drum sander, it's about the only tool I can think of that I've never owned. [:p]

jrc

I would buy the best live center I could. The one that comes with the jet mini is not very good. I did not know that untill a few weeks ago untill I put my $40.00 on that I used for turning bowls.

woodscavenger

This is assuming you have a lathe and other woodworking stuff like saws, drills, drill press.....
1)A great chuck like an axminster or oneway with multipe jaws and a jumbo jaw. ($600)
2)A sharpening center. A grinder with a wolverine jig setup including a fingernail gouge jig. ($250)
3)A set of good HSS tools for bowls including a good fingernail gouge and a set of smaller tools. ($350)
4)Sawsdust collection system ($150-?)
5) Pen kits, multiple mandrels, top notch drill bits, pen mill, organizing bins, display boxes, felt pen roll, business cards, sandpaper, CA, micro mesh, and assorted cool pen blanks.....spend all that's left.

arjudy

Thanks for all of the suggestions. I am thinking of upgrading my lathe to a Jet mini because of the increased HP. My lathe right now only has a 1/3 hp motor. Would you all get the variable speed model?
I already have the other tools (bandsaw, tormek grinder, chisels, etc) Which pen kits are the best. I am thinking of making future pens from titanium and rhodium plated kits only because I can market them with lifetime guarantee on the plating. Has anyone sold the new statesmen line from CSUSA? If so how do they sell? I am also planning on upgrading to a new live center as well. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks.

Scott

I would pay for the best hands-on woodturning class I could find. Maybe a week at Arrowmont, or at Craft Supplies, where ever. Even going to demonstrations doesn't come clost to good hands-on instruction by a professional. Since we're penturners, I'd recommend a week at Russ's shop.

Scott.

Daniel

Well considering I just spent about that the last couple of months, let's see.
the number one biggest item was a Tempest dust collector.
next was a Supernova 2 chuck for my lathe.
after that I bought a bunch of blanks. and pen kits so I can do a creativity spree. I bought the intire family of statesman and gent pens. both full size and Jr. rollerball, fountain, ballpoint etc. that alone ran $400.00
the rest of the kits where a mix of slimlines, cigar pens etc.
Oh I also bought a sharpening system. the Wolverine. and a grinder for it.
I am also redoing my entire web sight. so i would say my money went to a little of everything. plus I still have some left to get a Denim shirt or two.

I would buy the variable speed Jet mini (have the other one). By all means buy it instead of the other, I sure wish I had! Then I would buy good dust collection and air filtration systems. I would also buy some cupboards for storage and a new chair (I have to sit to work). That should do it and if, by chance, I had any left over I'd buy statesmen kits.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom