Identify the burls please

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

Here's a bunch of burls I received for christmas. The first one reminds me of the Golden amboyna but it is pinker in color. Not heavy in weight but large in size. It was v shaped and I had to cut a chunk off to fit it through the drum sander to help clean it up.

The second one is a little piece I've been hacking away at for years and never knew what the heck it was. Very hard and dense though.

The third group is from the burl guy and probably all aussie burls, but can't say for sure. I see some letters on two of them. I'm guessing the one YG is yellow gum. The back one feels like 8-10 pounds and isn't a cap, just a thick chunk. The front two are caps maybe 5-6 thick, and the weights are already on them.

20071227205739_woodburls%20004.jpg

2007122720590_woodburls%20007.jpg

2007122721226_woodburls%20008.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dario

These are all guess from your description and pic...

1. Premium looking Lace Redwood Burl
2. Ramone burl
3. River gum, RF? Mallee, Yellow Gum

workinforwood

interesting..I did ask for white top burl on my list..doesn't look as white as it did in the pictures though. I bet jason is correct at least on the last picture. The second one being eucalyptus burl might ring a bell, but just can't quite recall being it was so long ago i bought that little piece.

Nolan

In my burly opinion The first is redwood lace burl, the second is Euc burl and in the third you do have Fruit mallee, york gum and a white top

great12b4ever

I am not the best at guessing burls, but the 1st sure looks like some redwood lace burl I recently got from Wolfdancer, the second looks like some Eucalyptus burl like I have gotten from Nolan and from Wofdancer, and the bottom three look like Red Fruit Mallee, york gum and White top that I got from Nolan a few months ago. So I agree with Nolan in all respects

Rob

thetalbott4

RFM = Rib Fruited Mallee burl (aka Corrugata burl), YG = York Gum burl, and the pink one is Coolibah Burl. The chunk in the back looks like White Top burl and the second one looks a lot like Brown Mallee. Hope that helps.

workinforwood

Thanks guys, that helps alot. That first one sure is sweet looking. Very similar to the golden amboyna, but the eyes don't have pin hole in them. weight is similar to the amboyna, redwood isn't so heavy and dense either, so chances are that's what it is. It is beauty stuff, I'm a lucky man for sure. I just have to figure out a way to smooth the faces of the rfm and yg so I can re-saw them. Probably just hold them over the big belt sander for a bit. I'm deffinitely a lucky man! I really needed a chunk of buckeye but it didn't happen, so I'll have to just order one myself. That redwood burl sure has a few nice spots of worthless wood in it too. [:p]

R2

Can't help with the firste one.
2nd looks very ch like Mallee of some type going by the grain and the outer edge.It is not Red Gum.
3rd photo Top one couldn"t say for sure but certainly looks like one of our lighter coloured Eucaypt species With the burl coming from the trunk.
Other two are most probably Malleee of some sort- Corrugata.
Would like to see the back of the burls.
Just a few notes on Aussie burls.
To me a true burl comes from the trunk of a tree, where it grows like a wart. It usuall has many gm veins running throgh it.
Burls as obtained from Mallees (a tpe of Eucalypt ) are different in structure and have very few gummy veins. They are also much denser than other burls. The Mallee burls are taken from the root section of the tree.
The roots of Mallee trees are are like a big spikey bole. In my opinion calling them "burls" is misleading. I would prefer to see them called Mallee roots.
Apart from making excellent timber for pens and other turnings Mallee roots make wonderful slow, and very hot burning, firewood.

tnilmerl

1. Redwood Lace Burl
2. Grain looks like Eucalyptus, but all my eucalyptus has a redder color, so I'm not sure.
3. Back - middle looks like Jarrah burl, bottom right looks like yellow gum, bottom left some sort of mallee

Top Bottom