Ideal height of lathe

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

wyone

I am wondering exactly what is considered to be the ideal height of a lathe in relation to my height. I have been using a shopsmith and it is fairly low. I just bought a jet mini lathe and it is currently sitting on my benchtop and that seems a bit high. I am sure there is some formula, but I cannot find it. Of course it would have to be whatever works for the person, but thought maybe I could get a good starting point from you experts. :)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Mitch; Mount a pen blank in the lathe and turn it round. Now cut some 2x4 blocks. Turn the lathe OFF! Put one block under each end. Stand at the lathe and put your tool on the blank. Better, or Worse? Better, add another block. Better of Worse? Repeat until you have the height worked out. Now make something permanent.

Mine tend to be lower than elbow height.

kovalcik

I had the same feeling when I went from my shopsmith to my mini lathe on a bench. It seemed to be so high. It took a little bit to get used to it, but now the height feels natural AND my back feels better after long turning sessions. My suggestion is to give it a little time before you make any changes. Just for the record, my lathes are slightly higher than elbow height with no modifications. I am 5' 8".

Crayman

I am 6"-5" the Shopsmith was way to short I need to raise almost a foot, I then went and got a jet mini for turning and put the Shopsmith back on the floor, so the saw and band saw were at a good height.

Top Bottom