IAP 2009 BIRTHDAY BASH TRIVIA CONTEST- 4 - FEB

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Randy_

Welcome
to the fourth day of this year's
IAP TRIVIA CONTEST !!!

We will aim to start each daily contest at 12 noon ET on a given day; but TriviaMeister schedules may necessitate earlier or later starting times. Regardless of the starting time, you will have until noon ET of the following day to email your answer for the contest question. Please be sure to include your IAP screen name with your answer so we know who you are.

All entries "postmarked" before noon ET of the contest closing day will be placed in a hat(electronic hat, actually) and two winners selected. Winners will be the first two entries selected at random that are valid and have the correct answer to the contest question. The winners will be announced on contest closing day at 8 P.M. ET (or thereabouts as the TriviaMeister's schedule permits:wink:) and the decision of the TriviaMeister will be final.

Email your answer to: CLOSED

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 4 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

The prizes you will be competing for today are:

$50 gift certificate. Donated by Griffin Exotic Wood.

and

Box of blanks. Donated by nava1uni - (Cindy).

!!!!!***HAVE FUN AND GOOD LUCK***!!!!!

Question for day 4.....

Berea came out with a button click version of the Sierra kit recently which is nice because a lot of the current click pen kits leave something to be desired. Berea designed the kit so it would work with either the popular Uniball refill or the traditional Parker refill. To use the Parker refill, a little extension is required and ironically, while the extension works just fine with Parker clone refills, it does not work with the Parker brand refill. Because of that little annoyance and the possibility of losing the extension, altogether, some folks have come up with the idea of shortening the tube so that the extension is not required. You can no longer use the Uniball refill; but folks consider that a minor loss. The trivia question for today is:

What should the tube length be for the pen to function with the Parker refill and without the extension?

Note: I have not made a shortened Sierra click; but have calculated what the tube length needs to be based on the lengths of the individual kit components and I get a slightly different answer than what has been posted on some Internet pen sites. Another variable here is personal preference for how much of the refill tip extends beyond the end of the pen. That being the case, there will be some allowance made and there will be a small range of allowable answers; but you will need to be close!!

Email your answer to: Closed

Please show the date and name of the contest in the subject line of your email entry i.e., 4 FEB Trivia. You can copy/paste the preceeding. (This saves time for the TriviaMeister in processing entries.) Also be sure to include your screen name with your answer!!

Note: "Laundry list" entries that include several possible alternative answers are "NOT" acceptable. Submit only one answer per question or question part(if there is a multi-part question) unless the question specifically asks for multiple answers. Thanks.

The TriviaMeisters have decided there will be "NO" limit on the number of times any one person can win a prize. If you know your stuff and are lucky in the draw, you could win as many as 28 prizes!!!:wink:

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
So, if I read the question correctly, IF anyone has actually DONE THIS, can they please inform the triviameister of the CORRECT answer!!!

HE IS GUESSTIMATING!!!!

or, as he might say, "using mathmatical methods in lieu of practical applications"!!

Randy_

Actually, Ed, this is just an extremely subtle and clever way of extracting information from the IAP membership without admitting I don't know what I am talking about. Also will get me the accurate information I need to make up this kit without having to experiment and ruin blanks on my own.​

I have always questioned the numbers posted on some web sites and would like to find out the real skinny before investing my own time and materials.

Momma didn't raise no dummy, even though it may seem that way some times!!:wink:

Daniel

Foul!! Personal Benefit, Personal Benefit!!!
But yeah how can you trust a judge that doesn't know nothin?
What I want to know is how many revolutions of a sanding disc are required to remove the required amount of tube for the cut down version of the Sierra. sandpaper is spensive.

Daniel

Sorry but I had to share this train of thought. I made myself laugh, you have to be here to not think I'm crazy.
possible questions this quiz could cause to be asked.

Do you cut down the tube before or after you glue it in the blank? if after how do you measure it when it is stuck inside the wood?

I searched the CSUSA web site for the pen kit with the shorter tube but cannot seem to find it can anyone point me in the right direction? (CSUSA was not a typo)

I tried finding the Sierra kit on the Berea web site but it is to confusing. So I looked on (Insert site of choice) and still can't find it.

If I shorten the tube for the Parker refill how can I make the rollerball refill fit if I want to use one later?

I will stop with that but they are still coming. Sorry but for some reason this one is rich with opportunity.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
If I shorten the tube for the Parker refill how can I make the rollerball refill fit if I want to use one later?

You can't...the reason you shorten the tube is to get rid of the little fiddly spacer...if you want to use a Uniball refill, don't shorten the tube.

I don't see any reason to use the spacer, so if I want a Uniball refill, I use that, and if I want a Parker, I shorten the tube...

Andrew

PenAffair

Actually there was no specification of what units of measurement must be used, so the answer is 75 quangs, where 1 quang is defined as the thickness of the resin left over in my mixing cup that I didn't get out after I've made a new blank.

Russell.

Randy_

.....Do you cut down the tube before or after you glue it in the blank? if after how do you measure it when it is stuck inside the wood.....

I would glue the tube in and then cut the blank off with a table saw just a little proud of the required length and then use a barrel trimmer to get to the exact length.

.....I searched the CSUSA web site for the pen kit with the shorter tube but cannot seem to find it can anyone point me in the right direction? (CSUSA was not a typo).....

Not sure if CSUSA has such a kit yet. PSI has one called the Gatsby that is designed for just the Parker refill.

.....I tried finding the Sierra kit on the Berea web site but it is to confusing. So I looked on (Insert site of choice) and still can't find it.....

No doubt the Berea site leaves a lot to be desired; but it is a lot better that it used to be, if you can believe that. I rarely buy anything from Berea any more just because the web site is such a pain. I always go to Arizona Silhouette which used to have a not so good web site, too; but with the advent of the search function it is lot better now.

.....If I shorten the tube for the Parker refill how can I make the rollerball refill fit if I want to use one later?

You don't.....at least not conveniently. It can be done; but it would be a whole lot simpler to just buy another kit and assemble it in the long form. that is way you need to give some thought to what you want before you configure the kit.:wink:

Randy_

.....But yeah how can you trust a judge that doesn't know nothin.....

I didn't say I didn't know nuttin, I said I didn't know anything. There is a big difference and knowing that difference is why I am De Judge!!!

.....What I want to know is how many revolutions of a sanding disc are required to remove the required amount of tube for the cut down version of the Sierra. sandpaper is spensive.

Funny you should raise that point. :biggrin::biggrin: That's me laughing cause it really is funny.

Just so happens there will be a trivia question along those very lines a little later in he reign of TriviaMeister I.

I know you can't wait!!

Randy_

Actually there was no specification of what units of measurement must be used, so the answer is 75 quangs, where 1 quang is defined as the thickness of the resin left over in my mixing cup that I didn't get out after I've made a new blank.

Russell.

That is a good answer. Go ahead and enter it with all of the other wro......ah.....answers and we'll stick it where it belongs!!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Funny you should raise that point. :biggrin::biggrin: That's me laughing cause it really is funny.

Just so happens there will be a trivia question along those very lines a little later in he reign of TriviaMeister I.

I know you can't wait!!

Amazing as this may seem,

I CAN WAIT!!!

Randy_

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daniel
.....Do you cut down the tube before or after you glue it in the blank? if after how do you measure it when it is stuck inside the wood.....

I would glue the tube in and then cut the blank off with a table saw just a little proud of the required length and then use a barrel trimmer to get to the exact length.

Added: Once you get the blank squared up you can use a vernier caliper to measure the blank length.

Top Bottom