I was shocked while

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rd_ab_penman

rd_ab_penman

looking at pen blanks on eBay to see one of my Rifle Cartridge pens posted.
The seller was advertising Euro Gold Plated Rifle Clips.
I also noticed, what I am sure are other pens I have seen on various Pen Turning Forums posted as well.

I would like to know how other forum members here feel about something like this?

http://cgi.ebay.com/SLIMLINE-RIFLE-...ryZ71234QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

This is the message I sent to this eBay seller:

Which Pen Turning Forum did you copy my photo of one of the Rifle Cartridge pens I make?

Do you not think it would have been ethical to at least ask if you could copy and post one of my pens?

I have no problem with my photos being used. People who use my photos have the ethics to at least ask permission and will give credit where credit is due.

I lodged a complaint to eBay for whatever it's worth and see what kind of response I get.

Has anyone ever used The Village Workshop? http://myworld.ebay.com/the_village_workshop/

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

nava1uni

I have used the mentioned dealer many times. I have always received prompt, courteous service. He has some very nice kits, bushings, etc. Quick to correct any problems. I would believe him and his word unless it can be proved differently.

JimB

I think you have overreacted by filing a compaint with ebay. You contacted the seller and they are looking into your complaint and are working to resolve the issue. From what they wrote they thought they had permission as the photo was presented to them as property of the person who sent it. I think you should give them a chance to look into it instead of trying to damage their business relationship with ebay.

markgum

I would be honored if someone used a photo of my pen, but, I would like to know about it. It looks like they are selling just the rifle clip for $1.50 but not sure,, I have bought from Village Workshop and never had any issues. Seem to be honest people and from the reply you received, believe they are very customer focused.

Woodlvr

I have done business with them also and had no problems. It does appear that they are selling the clips for $1.50 each. I would have asked before I posted someone elses pen pic's but that is just me.

Skye

I think you've got more of a problem with the 'person' who sent it to him. If indeed there is another person.

ahoiberg

knowing ebay, the complaint will get nowhere. kinda flattering, kinda lame... at least they used a nice pen to show what they mean!

Snorton20

ebay usually will remove they auction if it can be proved that it is in-fact your photo being used. This has happened to my brother who sells RC Car parts on ebay. Someone used his photo ebay did some research and found that it was indeed my brothers photo. They then canceled the auction and from what my brother says the persons account was also suspended. So, In my opinion it is worth contacting them. It is your photo that you took and spent time and money on to take. No one has the right to use someone's photo for personal gain, Unless permission has been granted or credit is given.

btboone

I've had some companies in China blatently rip off my pictures and claim them as their own. I've resorted to putting a company logo watermark in the picture. In Photoshop, I cut the logo out and paste it over another picture at 10% opacity. Put it right over the part itself so it can't easily be taken off. It's a shame that we have to go there, but it's really bad business for them to steal someone else's pictures and claim that they did them.

Attachments

• siberianchroma.jpg
    siberianchroma.jpg
    31.5 KB · Views: 92

mg_dreyer

Quite honestly I can see why you would be bothered by use of your image. As a professional in Intellectual Property I am amazed at how many people think they can simply take someone else's picture and use them. I realize that most people here on the forum find this vendor as reputable, therefore condoned, what if they were not. I guess some posters spend as much time taking the picture as turning the pen. The quality and setups are well done and thought out. Is it really fair to just take it as your own. Once again I realize that they are selling the clip – but Intellectual Property is Intellectual Property. I am sure that when you post the pictures that you don't expect someone to look at your design and directly copy them – do you? That is a logical step. It is disappointing to think that if you post you need to protect the image with a watermark. I think you are simply asking for the ok to use. Out of courtesy to your fellow members a simply asking for permission should be that way. Contacting eBay seems extreme, but I understand your concerns.

reddwil

All I can say is I learned the hard way. I down loaded and printed a hand drawing a few years ago to do a woodburning. It was for me and was not getting sold, so I thought nothing of it. However, I posted a picture of it on a forum similar to this one, just to show it off. Got a long nasty letter from the artist, threatening legal action for copywrite infringment. I emailed the girl back and apoligized and told her my intentions with the peice. The result ended with a long phone conversation with her, in which she offered up some patterns that I have since used. I just learned to ask first.

Top Bottom