I want to hear your ideas on.....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

dale

My carving club wants me to show them how to turn a pen. They want me also to teach them how and let them turn a slimline.
So if you was teaching someone how to turn a pen that has never used a lathe how or what things would you do while teaching?
I want to cover all the bases that I can
They will be turning wood only

There is no rush in answering next club meeting is Feb.5 so you have time to think about it

Thanks in advance
Dale

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

gawdelpus

Passed Away May 11, 2015
In Memoriam
Not being a teacher of any sort, I would initially point them all to some of the excellant videos on pen turning on U-Tube , that way they will at least have some idea of what goes on before you take them through the practical, although pen turning in the main is pretty safe ,emphasize safe practices, face shields dust filters etc etc .Should be fun to take some novices through the stages of producing something practical and useful ,above all keep it safe and keep it simple ,took me a year to come to grips with the "infamous " Skew, meantime I made over a thousand pens with a basic 3/4 gauge :)
cheers ~ John

rherrell

If I was teaching someone how to turn a pen I wouldn't start with a slimline. Slimlines are actually one of the HARDER pens to turn, IMO. I'd start them out on a Sierra or some other single barrel pen.:wink:

RAdams

Banned
I would start them with Euro's. Tough kit to start with, but very possible. I think they would get more satisfaction, and use, out of Euro's.

I would also make it as easy on myself (in your position) as i could. Have them use a parting tool to get each end close to the bushing size then use a scraper for the other 90% of the tube. Use sandpaper to bring the diameter to the bushing size. In my opinion, this is the simplest way. these two tools are super easy to use, so there should be very little failure concern.

just my two pennies...

Daniel

I agree with the no slimline suggestion. I coudl actually show you exactly why if we could spend about 5 minutes in the shop together. But it comes down to the slimline being the smallest diameter pen. this requires the highest degree of tool control that we come across in making pens. Combining this with a new turner that already has reason to be nervouse and shaky. I know thousands of people have turned the slimline for their first pen, but I still think their are much better choices for the job.
Cigar pens are larger diameter and not that much costly.

I do not agree with the send them to watch videos, unless you want to spend a considerable portion of the lesson time correcting mistaken ideas about what they watched.

Start with covering safety specific tot he lathe. Since it is a woodworking club I would suspect they are already familiar with other shop tools. there are safety issues specific to the lathe. safety glasses of course, proper set up such as making sure nothing will hit the tool rest, making sure tail stock , tool rest, mandrel nut and whatever chuck you are using for the mandrel are all tight and secure. and finally make sure the lathe is on low speed before you start it. some of this is overkill for a pen like the lathe speed thing. But best to start people out with good habits.

My final bit of advice is the tell them three times rule of thumb. It works like this. first tell them what you are about to show them. then show them, then tell them what they where just shown. this little idea was told to many years ago. it is a general rule that people that write, do seminars or otherwise instruct people follow. it has to do with how people are able to absorb information and works very well.
I also would not get to fancy with tool selection. Everyone knows there is more than one way to skin a cat. and just what tool you rough the blank to round with or make the final cuts with etc can become a long list. so keep it simple, you decide what it is best to show them, and save it for another day to discuss alternative tools or techniques. I would also have a pre drilled and glued blank even if I brought an untouched blank to show them drilling. this way you can discuss some of the issues with drilling and maybe even get to demo a blow out on the drill press. but you are then instantly ready to turn a blank without the fuss and mess of gluing. Even if you do not actually drill a blank there. do mention that pecking is required and most certainly point out you are taxing the drill bit beyond it's intended performance. Also warn them about the common mishaps, either blow out or tear out upon exiting of the blank. also have a short list of suggested was to avoid them.

milling the blank. Hmmmm, probably best to demo your favorite but you might also want to have a list of ways to accomplish this as well. no need to show all of them but at least let everyone know that there is not just one way to get it done. None of them are really easy or readily available in the average non pen shop.

Actually mounting and turning. spend some time explaining how to correctly set up the blank on the mandrel. this is a point of error for many turners both experienced and non experienced. not tight enough is a problem, to tight is a problem. otherwise I would not get to far into all the problems they might have.

Don't forget at this point to show you actually follow your own advice on safely setting up and actually check that the tail stock is tight, chuck is tight , blank does not hit tool rest and that lathe is on slow speed. finally point out proper positioning of the tool rest. Ioften see knew people tend to want to set the rest way to far away from the turning. this can actually be dangerous. to far of a reach can cause tools to break.

Whittle out a pen and then you can spend a moment talking about sanding and finishing options. i am not sure I would even finish the pen right then and there. maybe sand it out and hit it with Micro Mesh just to dazzle a couple of folks. in that case I would turn Cocobolo for the Demo though. At least dome type of dense oily wood that will take on a pretty good polish without being sealed or finished.

Actually recently I learned a real good fast finish. I do a CA slurry seal then sand the blank to 600 grit. the barrels are then polished with a buffer. this does not produce quite as fancy of a finish as a full blown CA finish, but it is fast and easy.

Sorry I couldn't think of more, but I am sure others will chime in.
Otherwise, "Break a leg". That is a good thing by the way.

Last edited:

nava1uni

When I taught my daughter and her friends. I started with predrilled and pre tubed blanks that I had prepared in advance. Taught them safety first, no long sleeves, no rings or jewelry of any kind including watches. Only used a roughing gouge and they did slimline with no problem. Explained each step, demonstrated each step, and then let them do it. They came close to the bushings and then sanded to finished closeness. Sanded the blank until they felt it was smooth and then used a friction polish to get the gloss they wanted. No one blew out a blank by cutting too thin because they were new at it and very cautious. Unlike those of us who have done it a lot and think we know what we are doing. Most people that I have taught have had no problem with the slim line, especially if you show them one apart. I have a poster board with the entire process laid out, with parts glued to it showing how it goes together and how thin the barrels are when completed. Good teaching tool.
Have fun, people get very excited when they have made a pen. In November at the Veteran's turning at Woodcraft I have watched lots of people turn who have never done it before. They only use slim lines and everyone makes a pen.

mrcook4570

Teach safety first. Then start them with scrap wood between centers so they can learn basic tool control and proper cutting techniques before moving to a pen.

Mac

One of the AAW clubs that I am in ,teaches a week long class every year at a high school they teach students during the day and offer adult classes at night, all free.
Most all have never turned and all can turn after . They start with a peice of a tree limb about 3 to 4 inches in dia. bark still on about 12 inches long. and every body makes a mallet.
First they learn how to turn round then they make a tendon on one end to accomadate a chuck then they turn a recess in for the handle. and they learn how to part off. I might have left out some things as I don't want to write a book but our president ,that is over this school ,says if they can turn a mallet they are on their way to turning anything .

KenV

If you use slimmie kits to start -- throw away the center bands and encourage larger diameters -- then get out the carving tools after they are shaped and see what comes out --

Have seen some carved pens that looked pretty spectacular --

arjudy

Predrill the blanks, glue in tubes and face off the ends before letting the newbies turn. I agree with the post above about using the parting tool to get down to the bushing and the skew as scraper. I would also suggest using a one barrel pen such as the Sierra.

Brooks803

The one thing that was said over and over to me when I first learned to turn (which was only back in Sept.) were the ABC's of turning. Anchor-Bevel-Cut. It will help with those that might stick their tool straight into the blank and cause some mishap with either themselves, the tool, or the lathe itself. Also, point out some of the popular websites especially IAP for its library and extremely helpful members for when they become more involved with pen turning. Hope this helps and good luck!

jimm1

Nothing new from me except to stress what Stan wrote. SAFETY has to be a priority, especially for new turners. Being members from a carving club, I'm sure they know the importance of using a sharp tool. However, sharp tools along with moving wood is another ball game. GET THEM GOGGLES ON.
Sounds like a fun time. Good luck.

dale

Thanks all you as usual give me things to do.
I have a face sheild for them to wear.
One thing is these people are mature and will listen good. They are used to using safety precautions like we require every one to wear a carving glove while carving (disclaimer: no one will be wearing gloves while turning)

Thanks a lot.
Dale

Top Bottom