I think I confused myself even further...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Josh Gertz

I got a lot more done today, got the lathe and got nickle and dime'd at Wal-Mart for tools that I thought I had but are now missing. (Hex Set, Power Drill, Level, Stud Finder, etc)

This was the back corner of the garage (picture 2 in the previous post). It is now home to my equipment because its the only place with an outlet :confused:

I hung some old Ikea CD shelves we were going to toss...they are the perfect size for blanks and each one holds about 300 total...glad I hung on to them while I was cleaning.

I also had an old shelf system that was in LOML's previous business, working as a drying station for some wet blanks I got in the mail.

Finally in the back is the 1014I, changing the belt is easy enough for me. I got a really good deal on it, with the extension bed, bench, 2 chucks, 3 face plates, jaws.

Now I just have to wait for everything else...I dont have the mandrel yet or any kits otherwise I would be turning right now! I also am waiting on my tools, I may run over to HF tomorrow to get the cheap set just so I can play a bit.

Attachments

• IMG_0394.jpg
    IMG_0394.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0395.jpg
    IMG_0395.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 87
  • IMG_0396.jpg
    IMG_0396.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 75
  • IMG_0398.jpg
    IMG_0398.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 90
  • IMG_0397.jpg
    IMG_0397.jpg
    57.3 KB · Views: 73
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

aggromere

i really like the way you have those wall bins for the blanks. It looks like you are really organized and just about open for business.

Josh Gertz

i really like the way you have those wall bins for the blanks. It looks like you are really organized and just about open for business.

Just about, still waiting on all of the little stuff...live center, mandrel, sandpaper, polish, etc.

I actually couldnt take it and ran over to HF to get a cheapo set of tools just so I can practice a bit while I am waiting.

Putting blanks in the pin jaws and turning them a bit so I can use them later for slimlines still.

Let me tell you...learning how to use the skew correctly is a pain in the rear...and sassafras smells much more than the other woods I was using.

austing458

dude i have a HF mini lathe for my pens and such and it works fine, i mean its awesome for beginners....
cheap($120..$130 w/ warranty..get it)
works well.....
variable speed
all around great for what your doing.
the drill press idk i have one but i had it before i got the lathe so....
in order to drill on the lathe you need a seperat chuck for it which its like another $100
BANDSAW!!! get a nice one and it will pay for itself, i mean it, it is very handy
also i have the $10 lathe tool set from HF its fine....i have heard a few times one of the great advantages to that is when you get a new set you will have to know to sharpen them because they need it alot, besides the good ones are like $200 so it will save you money ALOT OF IT
buffing wheel shmuffing wheel who needs it just get a good finish or just a good clean rag and buff them by hand its fine i dont even buff mine heck i use poly and i still have a glassy finish without buffing
work bench.....hum cant help you there...i would just watch ur local craigs list

Have fun and good luck, thats all the info i have for you.

austing458

you can use your drill press for assembly just put some dowel in the chuck and a 2x4 in the vise and put the not yet assembled pen in the middle.....works very well and saves money

Top Bottom