I need some opinions

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jleiwig

Well..after a break from anything remotely creative, I'm back and I need some opinions.

First the back story:

I was setting up shop, buying tools and getting ideas when I found out my wife was pregnant. Well, I decided to sell my tablesaw and the turning stuff I'd accumulated. Long story short, she had a miscarriage, but is fine and we are trying again.

I really thought for a while that I wanted a fully outfitted woodworking shop, but I don't intend to make much furniture. Small boxes and the like are probably the deepest I'll ever dive into that aspect of fine woodworking. Other than that 99% of my wood working are home improvement projects.

Now last weekend I happened upon a sweet deal for a vintage jointer and two planers. I believe that once I restore these machines I will come close to having enough to buy a nice mini lathe like the Jet or Rikon if I choose to sell them.

Is this a good move?

I want to make pens, bottle stoppers and game calls, as well as bowls and other such things.

I know that overall the lathe is only a small part of the expense, but $500 to drop at one time isn't realistic and my wife would have a coniption fit if I did.

I can spend smaller amounts at random intervals no problem, but one big expense and I'm kicking the dog out of her house and making my bed!

Additionally I should add that this is going to be taking place in a 8x10 shed for the foreseable future.

So any and all opinions on it would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Justin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DurocShark

A good table saw isn't terribly expensive, and will help with the household projects. A sliding compound miter saw will also work well. Used, either can be had for cheap.

And both can be used to good effect in turning.

A bandsaw is another thing you should have. The $100 Craftsman (made by Rikon) is pretty good. I have one. It won't replace the above saws though except maybe for turning only.

As for whether restoring the tools will net you the money you need, I can't answer that. Depends on the tools you're restoring. But you should certainly get enough for the two tools plus an inexpensive lathe.

I use a vintage Rockwell table saw and jointer for most of my work. I don't even own a miter saw any more.

dasimm

Hi Justin,

I recently acquired a nice Jet 12" JWBS for next to nothing - one weekend my wife "under threat of personal harm" dragged me from the shop to go "garage sale grousing" with her. I whined about it the whole time to no avail...

So while out grousing we happened across a gentleman that wanted to sell his 10 yr old Jet band saw that was in mint condition. He had made a couple of birdhouses with it but then had a medical condition that prevented him from getting back into the shop. After talking to me for about 15 minutes he decided I needed his BS and sold it to me for a song.

I replaced the blade and tires and for less than $100.00 I have a nice little band saw that works like a champ and does ~90% of everything I want. I'll upgrade to a large band saw later - but for now this one is fine - better than fine. I looked up a new comperable Jet saw and it was listed for about $650.00.

My point is -- that if you are patient and you look - you "can" find really good deals at garage sales and via Ebay/Craig's list and probably save yourself a nice chunk of change in the process. Sure I had to do a little bit of work on the saw but it was "WAY" worth the savings.

Also - consider setting aside a Jar with the word "Lathe" on it and tell the wife that it is the Lathe savings jar and you are working to save up enough money for the lathe. All your spare change and the money from the refurbs all go in the jar. Once you have the money she knows you sacrificed and saved for it...

Should be little resistance to that and she should not resent that you sacrificed for it.

HTH...

mdburn_em

If you definitely know that you won't EVER want to do any woodworking besides the things you mentioned, then, Yes. I think it's a good move. I would be hard pressed to get rid of the jointer though. That might be because that's the tool I really need right now. You will get an idea of the value of the planers after you work on them. Between selling those and setting a little aside now and then, you could have a jet vs mini fairly soon.

Bonus answer: get the variable speed lathe. I don't think you'll regret it. I get the non-vs and I regret it.

jleiwig

Thanks for the opinions everyone.

I'm not interested in buying a table saw. Right now I'm looking at lathe, bandsaw and drill press as my next pieces to add to the shop.

I watch craigslist every day like a hawk. It's become a sick form of entertainment to laugh at some of the descriptions and prices people want for their items.

Please keep the opinions coming.

pentex

Look at the PSI lathe. They have a nice vs mini lathe well under $500.00 Also check Amazon.com, they have some good prices and usually free shipping.

jleiwig

Well I sold the Dayton 13" today. Posted it yesterday at 1:30, and had 9 emails about it by the time I got home from a long day of shooting, cook out and atv riding. The second email, the guy answered the phone and wanted to come look at it. I ran a 10' piece of oak through it and he handed me $225 cold hard cash. So I'm heading down to Rockler this weekend to pick up an Excelsior lathe while they are still on sale for $199.00. I'll have to call ahead and make sure they have one in stock for me.

Super excited. I may have already pre-sold some shell casing pens and pot calls to all my hunting buddies! They all said they would buy some if they were cool looking. I'm so excited. I know the lathe is one small piece of the puzzle, but it's the most important part for now!

Top Bottom