I need help too..................

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

AceMrFixIt

Poured some blue blanks. No pressure pot........ The small bubble pits are holding sanding dust, giving me white dots. Any way to clean this up without ruining the shine I have?????:cool:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
IF you have not finished the blank, yes.

Clean them with any solvent (alcohol, etc) on a piece of kleenex or paper towel. Once you have checked to make sure all your pits are CLEAN, drip a small amount of thin CA into the hole (if you have MANY, turn on the lathe and apply thin CA with your finger - yes you will get CA on your finger and it will solidify - but it will NOT add dust to your holes - an applicator MAY.

Once your holes are filled with CA, finish as you normally would.

MikeMcM1956

(snip)yes you will get CA on your finger and it will solidify - but it will NOT add dust to your holes - an applicator MAY.(snip)

My experience with CA is extremely limited, still developing technique. But one thing I have figured out is covering my finger with one of the 'midget zip lock' bags that all the individual pen parts are packed in. Keeps the finger clean (and unglued), and there's no shortage of these little bags since every kit has about five of them. And if the CA sets up too fast, the bag takes one for the team rather than your finger :biggrin:....

Mike

Dario

Totally disagree with Ed on applying CA with your fingers.

CA can cure super HOT!!! I had a few blister just from drop accidentally flicked while applying CA. DO NOT DO IT!!!

gketell

Local Chapter Leader
If you have an air compressor you can use that to blow out the sanding dust. Then follow the suggestion of thin CA to level the blank. I personally would not do it with my unprotected finger, but that is just me. Small ziplock; 1/16" packing foam; nitrile glove; any of those work great.
GK

pssherman

Totally disagree with Ed on applying CA with your fingers.

CA can cure super HOT!!! I had a few blister just from drop accidentally flicked while applying CA. DO NOT DO IT!!!

It won't get hot if you use OLD CA. The older it is the slower it cures. May require lots of patience though.

AceMrFixIt

I got past the glue on the finger issue. Bought some exam gloves (won't go into why.......) Use one finger per application of CA. Works like a charm. Thanks for the tip Ed, they look much better.

its_virgil

Did you turn them with a gouge? If so, those pits may not be from bubbles but from the gouge. A skew will leave a much smoother surface (after the blank becomes round) and the resin comes off in long streamers instead of small sand like particles. But, the pits may well be from small air bubbles.

The CA fix Ed described works fine.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Poured some blue blanks. No pressure pot........ The small bubble pits are holding sanding dust, giving me white dots. Any way to clean this up without ruining the shine I have?????:cool:

Dario

Call me wimp but having blister burns is not my cup of tea especially if avoidable. :wink:

Doing it regardless is masochistic in my book. :eek:

I know some people don't react with CA as bad but maybe the moisture on my hands (sweat :redface:) got to do with it.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Texas is different, you are exempted from the "wimps" category.

In Wisconsin, it's NEVER hot enough for CA to burn (UNLESS you use accelerant, then the burning sensation is a good lesson for the future).

Of course, in Wisconsin it takes 3 days for red polyresin to set, too - in Texas its a couple hours, I'm told.

YMMV!!!

(Don't take me too seriously, Dario, you should know that by now!!)

AceMrFixIt

No Don, its bubbles. I got a carbide tip gouge and skew. Used both and sanded real good. Toothbrush and acetone cleaned them up enough for the ca coat.

sbell111

Do you use PR or alumilite? I use PR, both because I can get it cheaper and because it takes longer to cure (making me less rushed).

When I don't cast anything in my blanks, I typically don't use the pressure pot. I try not to stir much air into the mix and any remaining bubbles appear to be able to settle out during the relatively long hardening time.

RHossack

Call me wimp but having blister burns is not my cup of tea especially if avoidable. :wink:
Now I react to the fumes of CA something horrible and my asthma lets me know about it.

However that being posted, I learned a long time ago to use my finger in applying CA.

Results are the fumes are not as bad and I breathe better.

What I do is make sure once I feel the heat building up is to remove my finger from the blank before the blister appears by magic. (don't ask how I know this and also know not to try and wipe up spilled CA with paper towels and ....)

Last edited:
Top Bottom