I need a new pressure pot

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

PenMan1

My current pressure pot is made from an old pressure cooker. It has been great, but it now needs a new gasket and the company went out of business years age.

I have looked at the links about making one from a HF pressurized paint can. The instructions look simple and straightforward. My question is by the time I get the pot, gauges and all the fixtures and pay shipping, I have over $150 in the pot. I HAVE READ ON THIS SITE AND OTHERS THAT SOMETIMES THE HF POTS EXPLODE.

For $225 I can get the Alumalite Pressure pot.

What is the best option? I'd like to hear from those with the HF pot especially. Do these pots go boom?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Phunky_2003

I hear Curtis is the official pressure pot tester. So I guess you could get him to do some testing for you. LOL

I have a binks pot I got for 20 bucks. I have seen the HF pots but have no experience with them so I will not give an info on them.

I will say that all pressure pots can go boom. No matter who makes them. The main thing is to stay within the pots working pressures and to visual inspect the pots and lids EVERYTIME before useing.

James

titan2

My current pressure pot is made from an old pressure cooker. It has been great, but it now needs a new gasket and the company went out of business years age.

I have looked at the links about making one from a HF pressurized paint can. The instructions look simple and straightforward. My question is by the time I get the pot, gauges and all the fixtures and pay shipping, I have over $150 in the pot. I HAVE READ ON THIS SITE AND OTHERS THAT SOMETIMES THE HF POTS EXPLODE.

For $225 I can get the Alumalite Pressure pot.

What is the best option? I'd like to hear from those with the HF pot especially. Do these pots go boom?

I just went to the Alumilite site and their pressure pot lists for $187.

http://www.alumilite.net/ProdDetail.cfm?Category=Equipment&Name=Pressure Pot

Barney

traderdon55

My Harbor Freight pot works fine but I don't use over 60 lbs pressure. As far as the expense of fittings I bought a tire inflater while there for $8.99 that had a gauge on it and attached it to pressurize my pot. The only other thing I had to buy was a cap,so I only added About $10.00 to the cost of the pot. If you watch their sales the pots go on sale for around $60.00 so you can build your pot for around $70.00.

Stick Rounder

PenMan,

I use a HF pot to 90 psi no problems, ever. There are coupons on line and a store in Macon. If you subscribe to there newsletter they send 20-50% off coupons monthly. Beyond the pot, you should only need a 1/4" inlet nipple and one valve. The pot comes with a gauge. I stripped mine down to gauge on one hole and valve/nipple on the other. Works fine.

PenMan1

I don't use a pot and mine come out fine.

For Most of my regular blanks I don't really need pressure either. But I am making some very small fenials, etc with diamonds, jewels etc. They have to be EXACTLY CLEAR or I have to figure out how to bust a high dollar jewel out of a fenial with a bubble. I just don't want to take the chance.

PenMan1

The two biggest concerns that I have heard about the HF pots is that 1. They tend to go boom at about 65-70 psi.

2. The other rumor is that they leak down beause of the paint intake tube?

You guys are making me feel better. I can't imagine EVER going to 90 PSI even with worthless wood or stabliizng wood!

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Andy,

We have three pressure pots (HF), and I think nearly every "caster" here is using at least one from HF. So, Curtis blew his up by making end-user "improvements" then exceeding the posted limits of the pot. He was the first to admit that he could have caused the problem. I have not seen other threads where they "blew up", but assume some have.

Keep your pressure to 60 pounds or less. If you hear air escaping, find out why. Oh, and USE the "off-on" valve that Curtis suggests, thus removing your air source to eliminate the possibility of a "controller gauge failure", when you are not watching.

Nothing is PERFECTLY safe, but if you use this method, I'll bet your odds are better than you have when you get in your car.:biggrin::biggrin:

PenMan1

Thanks Ed. That seals it. Back to HF I go. I'm getting really good in the pen shop lately, and it is just not the right time to blow my head off!

I've got to send you and Dawn some photos of the Cambridge Hybrids I made with your casein. THey sell faster than I can make them at $150. Nice blanks!

Last edited:

Stick Rounder

"You guys are making me feel better. I can't imagine EVER going to 90 PSI even with worthless wood or stabliizng wood! "

Just living on the edge....:wink:

MesquiteMan

Retired Head Moderator
Andy,

So, Curtis blew his up by making end-user "improvements" then exceeding the posted limits of the pot.

Yes, I did make some improvements that most likely aided in the catastrophic destruction of my pressure device! After that happened, I got gun shy and will not use another HF pot. I still think the HF pot is most likely safe but I am no longer willing to trust my life with it after seeing what happens when they explode. I had one of the older HF pots and have worked on a couple of new ones for folks and I can tell you right now, I would not use a new one if they gave it to me free. They are no where near a good as the ones I had (and most likely that Ed has).

I now have 2 ASME certified Binks pots and am still a little jumpy when I get up to 80 psi and these pots are individually tested and stamped to be used at 80.

I can say one thing for certain, though...the HF pot will be a hell of a lot more safe than a pressure cooker!! There is a fellow on a model casting forum I used to hang out on with a severely mangled hand from a pressure cooker exploding. I am glad your gasket is shot! (no ill will intended)

As for the modifications...all of the pots that I have built for myself and others (12 total now) cost around $10 in parts. If you are only using it for casting, you don't need all the extra stuff on it. Just a cutoff valve, a quick connect fitting, and the gauge that comes with it. On the older models, I could get one to hold 80 psi for days on end. I had one that held 78# for 10 days! The newer pots really suck though and I was not able to get any of them to hold more than around 50 for any amount of time.

You might keep an eye out at the local pawn shops. I bought a couple of different Craftsman pots for anywhere from $10 for one that was covered in paint to $20 for a nice clean one. My Father in law just recently bought me an almost new older model DeVilbiss from a local steel salvage yard for $5. If you are willing to drive to Central Texas you can have it for the $5 I paid him for it! I just don't need it now that I have the Binks.

Top Bottom