I just can't win...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fibonacci

So I finally got my Silmar41 ordered a couple weeks ago. First there was an issue with my CC, so it didn't get shipped right away, then it got caught in the midwest, then the holiday got in the way. I got notification that the box was delivered yesterday afternoon, so I took off work a little early to go play.

I first realized something was wrong when I walked through the gate to my entryway and I could smell PR. I go look, and there is a cardboard box sitting on my front mat that is oozing a foul smelling pink goo all over my front step.

I grab some plastic and scrape the box up onto it, open it, and discover that UPS managed to drop it hard enough to split the crimped seam on the bottom of the PR can. The resin ate the plastic bag around the can, ate a bunch of the packing peanuts, and oozed out the bottom of the box.

I called US Composites this morning, and they are sending a replacement, but I spent several hours last night with acetone trying to clean it up. I finally ran out of acetone just after home depot closed. The walk still smelled this morning. I guess I will go buy a gallon of acetone tonight and work on it some more.

This stuff better make me some really nice blanks to be worth this much trouble. I am quickly ending up with the most expensive peacock feathers ever.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Brooks803

atleast you have an early warning as to how bad this stuff smells! It gets worse as it cures with the MEKP. Best of luck with it once it gets there. I'm in the same boat too, I ordered last week and hasn't even processed yet. Maybe they partied a bit too much over the holiday weekend!

Fibonacci

I have used a few kinds of MEKP hardening resins, so I think I have an idea of how bad it smells. We will see if I am right.

My interest has not been damaged yet. If anything, the anticipation has me even more interested now. I guess I have a few days to prep my first feather blank.

My original thought was to wait to prep it until right before I wanted to cast it to make sure it stayed clean and such while wating for the resin.

clapiana

be prepaired for a fight also with those feathers :) i hear peacock loose sme of the vibrance BUT you will have a blast and the wait will be WELL worth it. casting competes easily for my time in the shop. nothing like creating some swirls and sees how it looks as you spin down to size :)
blessings!
craig

Top Bottom