I have a Slimline problem

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

RyanNJ

i made a satin silver slim and i can not get the ink refill to come out when i twist it and when i try to remove it the only way is using pliers how can i get this pen working? This is a pen i made from my first homemade blank

i think CA might be the problem but i am not sure how to remove it

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mredburn

IAP Activities Manager
Staff member
If you think CA in the nib is the problem try cleaning out with a drill bit by hand not in a power drill. IF you use acetone to try and disolve it you will probably ruin the finish of the pen. I belive a long 1/8 drill bit will clean all but the very tip and a 5/64ths will do that. the standard 1/8 will be to short

Edit in; You could remove the tranny and clean it out and reassemble it.

hewunch

Take the refill out and try poking it in the nib from the outside of the pen (the opposite way it would normally work). This will tell you if the hole is too small or clogged. If the point goes all the way in, it is not a problem with the nib. If it does not, do as mredburn suggested.

monophoto

Some troubleshooting idead:

- try removing the clip end of the pen, and turning the transmission to extend the point. If rotating a 'naked' transmission extends the point, then the problem is probably the way the transmission is placed in the tube.
- does the clip end of the pen fit snugly onto the point end? If it's loose, it could be that the small '****' on the side of the transmission aren't engaging with the upper tube. In this case, the upper portion of the pen can rotate, but the transmission won't extend the point.
- remove the clip end, and check the position of the transmission. It should be pushed into the point end all the way to the embossed line. If the transmission isn't pushed far enough into the lower tube, it will slip inside the upper tube when the clip section is attached, and then the clip section won't be able to rotate.
- if these ideas don't get to the problem, then it's likely not the placement of the transmission in the tubes, but rather the transmission itself. Try removing the transmission (easier said than done), and try a transmission from another kit.

monophoto

it appears to be a nib problem as when i take the refill out the point will not fit in the nib

Is the nib bent? Could you remove the nib and replace it with a similar component from another kit?

One of the (many) things that I worry about is damaging the metal components when assembling the pen. I use a drill press as an arbor press for assembly, and always make sure that top and bottom end of the components being pressed together are facing sacrificial blocks of wood rather than metal, and I watch very closely to make sure that the components aren't cocked at an angle when I do the assembly.

Moosewatcher

You didn't say if this was a Funline Kit or not but I have run into this problem several times with the Funline kits. Hole in the nib is too small, have to drill them out.

Ken

Top Bottom